cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating new app server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am adding a new app server to our QA system on a different machine(UNIX). I will not do this with the CD. I am going to copy all the required files to the new machine.

Has anyone done this? what steps to follow after copying the files?

I couldnt find a note regarding this, if anyone knows notes regardig this, please let me know.

Regards

Cyrus

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Jason is right, follow the SAP guides wherever you can, but yes there are times when you canot or dont want to for various reasons.

Basis learner, I dont have a document for this, but I will list the main steps. You can ask me specific questions if you run nto problems. Here are the steps:

1)You need these 3 directories at the new system:

/usr/sap/<SID>

/sapmnt/<SID>

/oracle/<SID>

2)Copy over the /oracle/<SID> to the new system, do ls -latr and change .sh, .csh, .login, .profile filese wherever needed.

3)same this with /usr/sap/<SID>, change all env scripts and also change the startsap and stopsap scripts.

4)For /sapmnt/SID, you need to extract the new kernel for your new hardware

5)Check the listener, modify all other stuff accrding to your environment, check R3trans -d and start the system

6)Upload the new instance into teh system from CI through RZ10 and RZ04.

I guess you ae all set.

Let me know if it works

Regards

Cyrus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Cyrus. Thanks for the steps. I will post specific questions if I run in to specific problems

Basis learner.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Stefan, your short document definitely helped. It made me think in the right direction. I followed your steps, bt ofcourse I ahd to do a whole lot more to get it working.

I kept only /sapmnt/exe local, and used mounts for global and profile, copied oracle dir, copy/modified all requied scripts in SIDadm home dir and oraSID home dir, and also modified the start/stop scripts.

It is working fine now. The reaso why I didnt install the recommended way is because the first app server had everything working fine fro our company environment perspective, so didnt want to do all changes later on after installing.

anyway, it worked fine, tahnk you all.

Cyrus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Cyrus,

I have very similar requirement. Need to bring up a new application server with new hardware and test it and then swap with existing App Server. Do you have the procedure documented. If so can you email me at basislearner@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, I just can't restrain myself from responding to this post again. I think it should be pointed out to any novices reading this post that what Benny says is true - the method described here for bringing up a new app server is not the recommended and documented method of SAP. And personally I think it's irresponsible. If this was proposed by a member of my team it simply would not be allowed. If there are tricky environment settings, interface folders, or printers or users or anything else installed on an existing app server then it is the responsibility of BASIS to learn, understand, and document those settings. Because if BASIS doesn't understand it, then who will? Hacking together a solution in the way described here in a production landscape is just asking for trouble and more confusion down the road. My advice - stick to the instguide.

stefanh_lima
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Cyrus,

i have done this sometimes. There are some Steps to do.

1)Copy Start- and Instanceprofile

2) Adjust the Settings within the Profiles

rdisp/myname = uls1507_E39_00

rdisp/enqname = uls3391_E39_00

rdisp/mshost = uls3391

rdisp/btcname = uls1507_E39_00

rdisp/vbname = uls1507_E39_00

2.1) Uncomment the Starsection from the Messageserver and Syslog-Collect Daemon

3.) Create Users and Group on the new System <sid>adm and DB-User

3.1) Set the Group-ID and the User-ID to the ID on the Messageserver

4.) Copy the Profiles and Environment from the Messageserver to the newly created User and adjust it

5.) Check that you have mounted /sapmnt from MSG-Server to /sapmnt on the new Server

6.) Check that you can connect with R3trans -d to your DB

6.1) If yu use SAP-DB you must create an .XUSER.62 File.

On other Databases read the OSS

!!!Attention!!!

When you start the System the first time check that no other actions are running in the System.

Let me know if you need a complete Doc in German.

Hope this very shoooort Descriptin helps.

Regards

Stefan

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Besides this is a non recommended procedure (Sorry, have to say this) you don't mention how you get around the fact that your new server usually has a different name and therefore would need changes in several places...

I'm puzzled.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, actually I want to copy/ftp all necessary files from one application server that we already have running to the upcoming new one.

I hope this explains it.

Thanks

Cyrus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't understand...you want to build a new app server by simply copying files from an existing app server? Why not just install a fresh copy on the new hardware, takes maybe 15 mins. And the kernel will come down via sapcpe if the CI is configured correctly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

you want to copy the CD contents to the hard drive? That's fine, just copy it. And don't miss any files. When the install asks for the CD just point to the directory you copied. This is described in the instguide