cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage Eclipse or SAP Netweaver Developer Studio???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

In the company i work, we are using an Eclipse 3.2. with Portal-Plugin (and CVS as Source Code Managment System) to Deploy our PAR's to the Web AS (Java).

I tried to introduce den SAP Netweaver Developer Studio, but the person who developed in here the whole time told me, that it's based on Eclipse 2.1 and not up-to-date.

Can s.o. tell me s.th. about the advantages of the NWDS in relation to Eclipse 3.2/Portal Plugin ??

What are the disadavantes?

I have to say, that we are only 3 Java developers in here and don't have a JDI.

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the NetWeaver Developer Studio is the fully integrated IDE for NetWeaver Developments. Currently the base of NWDS is Eclipse 2.1, but SAP is working on an upgrade to Eclipse 3 (for internal SAP developments it is already available).

In a plain Eclipse environment you cannot develop WebDynpro Applications or use the NWDI. SAP does not support any eclipse-based development, they recommended the use of the NWDS.

Regards

Sebastian

Former Member
0 Kudos

At this point i have a question - what is the difference between a WebDynpro-Application and a Portlet Application which has been deployed by the Eclipe-Portal-Plugin (as PAR) ?

I only know that deployed Applications can run without the portal. Isn't the strategy to develop applications running in the SAP Enterprise Portal?? Why deploy applications running without it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Björn,

take a look at this book:

"Java Programming with the SAP Web Application Server"

SAP Press ; ISBN 1-59229-020-5

http://www.sap-press.de/katalog/buecher/titel/gp/titelID-656

It will give you a quick introduction to the following topics: SAP WebAS, SAP NWDS, SAP NetWeaver JDI, Web Dynpro, ...

This book is also available in german.

Best Regards,

Holger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

> the base of NWDS is Eclipse 2.1, but SAP is working

> on an upgrade to Eclipse 3 (for internal SAP

> developments it is already available).

>

It's available not only for internal SAP development, there is a released version for the Application Web Server 2007 that covers JEE 5 (latest released java technology) it comes with SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio built on top of Eclipse 3.2. You may check it out :

<a href="https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/downloads?rid=/library/uuid/da699d27-0b01-0010-99b0-f11458f31ef2">download from SDN</a>

<a href="https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/developerareas/java?rid=/webcontent/uuid/28b1ed0e-0d01-0010-c887-a8fdecdb9053">sdn [original link is broken] doc</a>

But I am not sure if the webdynpro development is in that released version.

HTH

Peter

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

From what I understand you are working on 04 version.

On Portal different types of application can be ran:

Portal Application, Webdynpro Application, J2EE Applications ...

Only Portal Applications are packaged as PAR.

SAP Netweaver Developer Studio has a seperate perspective for Portal Applications (that includes PAR deploy ...), WebDynpro Applications ...

For each Portal(Server) version there is a Developer Studio that is related to this version.

For 04 version Developer Studio is based on Eclipse 2.1

Developer Studio based on Eclipse 3.2 is for version of server that was not released to customer yet and it won't work on 04 Server (because of architecture changes).

Best Regards,

Yevgeny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello thx to all,

to the architecutre changes i will open a new thread