cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSCC 18 Barcode in RF.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. What is universal standard length of barcodes for SSCC 18. Is it 20 character barcodes or 18 character??

2. Can the length of a barcode (read by a device) be modified before it is displayed on the SAP/RF screen.

For Ex: If we scan a barcode of 20 characters can the device truncate the initial 2 characters (which are 0's in SSCC18) and display only last 18 characters on the screen.

(I am aware that we can append zeros to the barcode scan before displaying)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit!

Answer to Q1:

The SSCC18 has 20 digits. The first two digits in this case are the application identifier. It tells the application that the 18 digits following the application identifier have this structure (if one is

specified) and this meaning. UCC/EAN 128 is the bar code symbology.The SSCC18 is an implantation of that symbology with very specific rules set by the

Uniform Code Council (see www.uc-council.org).

Answer to Q2:

You define the Input Field with Length 20 in you SAP/RF Screen.

Set your RF Device for <AUTOENTER>,meaning as soon as you scan <ENTER> is pressed automatically.When you do it in the SAPGUI you handkey the 20 digit value and press enter manually.

In your PAI write ABAP Code to trim the 20 digit barcode value to 18.Basically remove the application identifier 00.

With this the moment you scan your PAI is triggerred and you will see only the 18 digits during the next Screen Display.

This will definitely work.Hope this answers your question.Let me know.

Thank You

Gisk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Gisk.

I understand what you are suggesting.

Have a query though.

Currently, Instead of 20chars I have my input field length at 18. So when user scans a HU 18 chars are displayed and if I need to fetch data from table etc in PAI then I am converting this to 20 chars.

SO throughout whenever I need to display an HU I use the variable with 18chars & when I need to fetch data I use the 20char variable.

Is mine an incorrect approach or will this also work?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rohit!

You are Correct!

EXIDV uses the ALPHA Conversion Routine, so you can use the FMs

CONVERSION_ROUTINE_ALPHA_INPUT

CONVERSION_ROUTINE_ALPHA_OUTPUT

Wherever required.This should take care.

-Gisk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Gisk.

Infact I am using those FM's only to do the conversions.

Another quick qtn: Do you know whether a SSCC Barcode stores the Brackets around the application identifier (00) too in the printed label. So when I scan such a Label will the RF device truncate the application identifier Zeros and display the rest 18? Or is this truncate done through our Code only?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rohit!

When you design and print a Label with UCC/EAN 128 Symbology using any Label Design S/W, it will automatically add the Parenthesis () to the first 2 digits of the Barcode Data and it is defined as "Application Identifier".

When you scan a UCC/EAN128 Barcode the scanner should read all the numeric fields with out the parenthesis into the input field.Then you have write your own logic to include or exclude those leading zeroes.You could confirm this by scanning the SCC18 barcode if you have a scanner.

Hope this is clear now.

Thx

Gisk

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Could please state the problem you are facing which is specific to SAP Mobile. Because the questions seems to be more to do with Barcodes and processing it. Let me know if there is any problem while send this scanned data to backend via middlware.

Thanks..

Preetham S