Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAS - ABAP vs. Java

Naga_P
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I understand from the documents I have read that BI 7.0 is now available on WAS servers - one works on ABAP basis and the other works on JAVA Engine. I also read that JAVA Engines enables us to access 4 different connector for giving more openness to the BI System in general.

My Questions is - if a client wants to just install BI Based on ABAP only (excluding JAVA based WAS), what would they be missing apart from not having the 4 connectors. As I know the client has only one source of data for BW, i.e. R/3. Reporting is done using Web application Desinger. There are no complex Web Applications created.

Any light on the above would be highly appreciate and rewarded with points.

Thanks in Advance.

Naga

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Naga_P
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks to all you for your responses. I appreciate your time for going through my questions and coming forward to express your views.

However, I was looking for more specific "factual" answers. My question is "What does a client miss if they opt to install only ABAP based BI 7.0, as against JAVA Based BI 7.0"

thanks again.

Naga

Former Member
0 Kudos

you install netweaver and add BI content which makes BI running on WAS ABAP . if u want to install BI Java. you add WAS Java Add in your existing BI . click the below link to see what you can what you will be missing if you do not install BI Java components

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/08/1566422e599c60e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

victor

you can even use ITS for Reporting , but what i mean is for a full integration with portal you need BI Java usage/components , for example coverting a report in to a PDF etc

Former Member
0 Kudos

i think if u do not install BI Java components . web reporting through portal will not be possible

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

Web reporting can be supported from ABAP stack - available from BW 3.5 at least. You got a URL link for each report.

Then portal could point iView definition to that URL.

Thank you,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naga,

Our BW has only ABAP stack so far... If the data source would be R/3 (or ECC 5.0/6.0) only, ABAP stack of BI should be sufficient to load the standard InfoCubes and support general reporting to Web or Excel. Likely those connetors would not be needed.

Thank you,

Victor