cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Performance Stats

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some reliable feedback/info on what database performs the best in a Windows 2003 environment (of course running SAP).

MS SQL 2005, MaxDB 7.6, Oracle 10g, or DB2 9 ??

Finding performance statistics for SQLServer vs Oracle vs DB2 has been ok, however I just can't find anything reliable about MaxDB.

(Please note that we are talking about a DB that needs to cater for over 500 concurrent users, with sub-second respones times for reads and writes, and over 1TB in size.)

(Features are a bonus, however performance is key)

So far (based on lots of articles, and the TPC.org site), I have found the following ranking for "best" performance on Windows 2003.

1st Place = DB2 9

2nd Place = MSSQL 2005

3rd Place = Oracle 10g

Where would you rate MaxDB and why??

Cheers

Shaun

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Shaun,

MS SQL, Oracle, MaxDB and DB2 - all of these DB will meet your performance requirements when running on 64 bit operating systems and hardware.

The benchmarks from SAP (SD 2/3 tier) and www.tpc.org all show performance far in excess of what is required to operate a 500 user/1-2TB database. Some would argue that these benchmarks are not representative of reality.

I would recommend that you consider factors such as purchase cost, operational cost, headcount & resourcing, support structure and integration with SAP when selecting a database for SAP.

In the SAP context at least, databases are increasingly becoming "commodities". I would recommend you adopt a database and operating system with a low TCO and administration requirement - this will allow management to allocate budget and allow your technical team to concentrate on adding real value in your SAP solution stack, rather than spending evenings and weekends performing valueless DBA activities such as reorganizing or changing page sizes of tablespaces.

Take a look around the DB/OS forums on SDN, you will find some useful material for your decision making process.

Thanks

N.P.C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi NPC,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your point of view, and I can assure you that we are/have taken all these things into consideration. TCO will be the primary driver to the "database of choice" ... however my original question still stands due to the lack of current benchmarking for MaxDB.

Where does MaxDB 7.6 sit from a pure performance perspective compared to Oracle 10g, DB2 9, and SQLServer2005?

Does anyone know where I can also get a side-by-side comparison view of each DBs features?

Regards

Shaun