cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Asset Management and MM - Functional

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am investigating use of MAM for service technicians on mobile vans. Apart from having to install/de-install equipment, a key requirement is to have visibility of stocks by van.

What are the MM structures needed to accomplish this? e.g. Does one need to have storage locations for each van? How does stock held in a van match up with R/3?

Alterntively, If each van were to be represented as a customer, can MAM recognise the stock in the van as customer consignment stock?

Any ideas?

Regards

Jayshree

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jayshree,

You could use both the approaches. Both are standard options available through configuration for MAM 2.5. You can have each van as a storage location and assign a user to that storage location. you could use normal sap transactions to fill up the van with stock by doing a stock transfer from the normal storage location and then sync up your device for that user at that time. The system will load all the materials into the respective client.Once you have the same, you could do a planned or unplanned goods issue against the order from that (Van) storage location for those materials.

if in case you want to use the stock as a customer consignment stock, you would need to assign the user to that customer number in configuration.Again using this stock you could post planned and unplanned goods issue for various orders.

Thanks

Narasimhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Narasimhan,

Here we only have SAP 4.6C and so it means using MAM 2.0. Assume this also works for MAM 2.0.

Also at this stage, the technicians will not be using MAM to receive their orders. They already have another software for that. All that we want to record is the install/de-install with serial numbers and the associated MM update. I also need to know if you can create notifications in the mobile device which will then create a notification in the backend.

Also can a laptop be used instead of a PDA? Has anyone used MAM with serial numbers before?

Thank you once again

Regards

Jayshree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jayashree,

With 46C, you could still go for MAM 2.5.All you need to install the latest PI packs along with the support packs if nccessary. Standard functionality is available to create Notifications in the mobile client, which will create the notification on the R/3 system on synchronization.

You can install the same on laptop as well, the performance is even better on the same, compared to PDA's. I havent used MAM with serial numbers, but i dont see any difference in the same. The material stocks contain the equivalent equipment number and material serial number.Only that information along with Description and stock information is visible on the client side.

Thanks

Narasimhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Narasimhan. It appears that you have very good experience on MAM.

I will now be brave enough to ask you another question. In our environment, there are a number of mobile vans that operate in a geographical area (let us call it a zone). This area would have some stores as well. If I create a storage location for a zone, can multiple technicians look at stock and equipment in the zone? Will it cause a problem during the sync?

There is not much functional information in the SAP help. Also, can you tell me where I can find more information (not basic stuff)

Cheers

Jayshree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jayshree,

I guess its relative experience on the application. You can assign multiple vans(Hence Users) to the same storage location and the same storage location data would get replicated into the client.However wouldn't the actuat stock in each vans be less than the storage location stock. Would you be using this idata for information purpose or for real issue of goods against various orders?

There isnt much documentation available, except for the configuration help and configuration documents for MAM 2.5/3.0 in the service market place.

Thanks

Narasimhan