cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic knowledge about Sap Netweaver, Web As, Web Dynpro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I am a new nut guy trying to understand Sap NetWeaver. Could you guys explain to me just briefly in the most simplest ordinary terms about points below. I tried to read documentations but do not understand completely.

1) What is Sap NetWeaver? Does it comes with several components?

2) What is Web AS?? what does it serve?

3) I heard about Web Dynpro for Java and Web Dynpro for Abap. They are used to develop Web applications in Java language and the other in Abap language. I'm interested just on knowing the Java side.

I just want to understand the hardware systtem achitecture and associated software to be installed.

Now for Java, I heard that we need to install Web Developper Studio, rite?? then which version should I install, Sap Netweaver SP16 or Sap Neweaver 2004 or Sap Netweaver 2004s?? where can i find it?? should it be installed in front end station? do i need Java?

Now for Web AS, where do i install it??

I'm totally new in Sap NetWeaver

Thanks a lot guys

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

sridhar_k2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) SAP NetWeaver you can get information from this.

SAP NetWeaver is the next-generation services-based platform that will serve as the foundation for all future SAP applications.

NetWeaver comprises several technologies and components: a portal framework, business intelligence and reporting, Business Process Management (BPM), integration, Master Data Management (MDM), a common run-time application server, and the SAP application development and management platform.

You can get more info regarding Netweaver in the below links.

2)

Web AS is one of Netweaver Product. It is like normal Server. It has Web Application Server for JAVA / ABAP.

For more info you can get here.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/c1/371a403233dd5fe10000000a155106/frameset.htm

3)Web Dynpro is mainly used for Developing User Interfaces. It is RAD tool. It made development very easy.

We have WebDynpro(Java /ABAP). Both are for same purpose. If you are from JAVA background, i prefer Web Dynpro (JAVA). It is very easy to learn.

For More info go thru this link

If you want to know about System Architecture, you can find ample information on help.sap.com

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/a4/76bd3b57743b09e10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

Netweaver Developper Studio is for Development. If you have server access, you can develop from here. You can get trail SAP Netweaver Sneak Preview on SDN itself. Try that one.

Regards,

Sridhar

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph, I will try to keep it simple.

<i>

1) What is Sap NetWeaver? Does it comes with several components?

</i>

SAP Netweaver is the platform in which all SAP software runs on top of. For example R/3 ran on the "Basis" layer, this is simular in ECC6.0, where ECC is the R/3 part and Netweaver(ABAP stack) is the "Basis" Layer. With Netweaver you get two stacks, ABAP and Java. SAP components run on one or the other. Netweaver includes, but is not limited to:

Netweaver Application Server(formerly called WebAS)

Netweaver Portal(formerly called EP)

Netweaver XI(I think there is a new name for this)

etc.

<i>

2) What is Web AS?? what does it serve?

</i>

WebAS is now called Netweaver Application Server, this is the basis for all applications, whether ABAP or java based. For example the ECC(R/3 component) runs on the ABAP stack of Netweaver Application Server, the Netweaver Portal runs on the Java stack of NW Application Server.

<i>

3) I heard about Web Dynpro for Java and Web Dynpro for Abap. They are used to develop Web applications in Java language and the other in Abap language. I'm interested just on knowing the Java side.

</i>

For the java side, you develop the webdynpro applications locally on your laptop using NWDS(Netweaver Developer Studio) and then deploy this application to the Netweaver Application Server(java stack). You can then implement the application into an iView in the NW Portal.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/15/0d4f21c17c8044af4868130e9fea07/frameset.htm

<i>

I just want to understand the hardware systtem achitecture and associated software to be installed.

Now for Java, I heard that we need to install Web Developper Studio, rite?? then which version should I install, Sap Netweaver SP16 or Sap Neweaver 2004 or Sap Netweaver 2004s?? where can i find it?? should it be installed in front end station? do i need Java?

Now for Web AS, where do i install it??

</i>

Which NWDS to install depends on the version of the java engine in which you are working with. The rule is that you keep the version of NWDS in sync with the version of the Netweaver Application Server(java engine). Usually the NW AS, is intalled on a standalone server(not your laptop), but you can install sneak preview editions on your laptop for testing .

I hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Rich Heilman