cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode flag in transaction WE21

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Could someone tell me which is the difference between mark or unmark in WE21 transaction the flag Unicode Format?

Thanks & Regards,

Luis.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member206604
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The data that will be sent or received will be unicode complaint. Most of the special characters or different language characters are handeled using this.

Thanks,

Prakash

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Again,

So which is the correct configuration in the file port if I have the following situation:

Unicode System -

Non Unicode System

|

-

Unicode System

If I mark the flag between Unicode and Non Unicode will it work? or I will have to create an specific port with the flag unmark for the communication between Unicode and Non Unicode and another one with the flag marked between Unicode systems?

Thanks for your answers,

Luis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Luis,

As far as I am aware, the port settings should depend on data. If you expect to have unicode data in the idoc, then you should use the unicode port. If you use a non-unicode setting and if your idoc contains unicode data (such as the euro sign or some greek characters which cannot be interpretted using an ASCII/Extended ASCII code page) , then it is possible your outbound idoc will fail and result in a status 02. When we were earlier using an external tool for mapping, we used to kick the idoc out as unicode , map it and then convert it to an ASCII format before sending the mapped file to non-unicode systems using a format conversion tool.

In some cases ,where we were aware that there will be no unicode data involved, we used a port with non-unicode setting. So in effect we were using two port settings.

Regards,

Vikram

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

when unicode is marked then XML is generated in Unicode.

Do an F1 on the button and you will find the following info -

The XML file is generated in Unicode format.

When forming tag names, characters that are not allowed are converted. The conversion to XML format is performed according to the rules for the display of ABAP data:

If the name of the IDoc types, extension, segment or field contains a namespace prefix, the namespace separators '/' in the tag names are replaced with '_-'.

Example:

For the field names '/PREFIX/FIELDNAME', the tag name '_-PREFIX_-FIELDNAME' is used.

If the name of a field, segment or IDoc type or extension leads to tag names that are not permitted for other reasons, an invalid character 'c' is replaced with '_--hex(c)', whereby hex(c) is the hexadecimal display of the character in ASCII.

Example:

The character '&' is replaced with '_26'. Thus the name 'C&A' has the tag name 'C_26A'.