cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Unicode Support Post NetWeaver 2004s

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Our site runs an existing non-unicode environment, and are aware that we can definetly upgrade our existing environments to NetWeaver 2004s (Basis 7.0).

However will SAP provide future upgrade kits for later releases of SAP (eg Basis 8.x and higher) for non-unicode environments.

Cheers

Shaun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaun,

See the following blog:

/people/michael.eacrett/blog/2006/05/03/single-code-page-sap-systems-heading-towards-history--unicode-only-future

Best Regards,

Matt

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have a look at http://service.sap.com/unicode for detailed info.

Eddy

PS.

Put yourself on the SDN world map (http://sdn.idizaai.be/sdn_world/sdn_world.html) and earn 25 points.

Spread the wor(l)d!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt and Eddy for your replies.

I had already read the "blog" Matt, and Eddy I have spent a heap of time in the service market place reading everything thats available on unicode including oss notes.

However here is a snippit from the blog the Matt directed me too:

========================================================

2. This change only really effects NEW installations of SAP NetWeaver and SAP applications based on SAP NetWeaver that were previously available with non-Unicode installation options.

3. Existing installations of SAP NetWeaver and SAP applications based on SAP NetWeaver that were based on single code pages can be upgraded to the new releases WITHOUT having to convert to Unicode. This is really cool as it protects your existing investments and you can live in the non Unicode world for a <b>little longer</b>.

========================================================

Note on "3." that is says at the end there "for a little longer". ... how long? too what release?

From what I have read so far it sounds like anything above NetWeaver Application Server 7.0 will require a unicode conversion.

Any comments??

Ideally I would like someone to just give me a yes/no answer.

Cheers

Shaun

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as ERP 2005, one van still uncheck the Unicode code check. I don't know for NW2004s yet, but we will install it later this year.

As far as official yes/no for single code support, I guess only SAP can reply that one.

Maybe you could ask thing at a Teched. This is the A'dam example (http://www.sapteched.com/emea/edu_sessions/topicview.htm?tlid=89), but maybe you can attend one closer to you.

Michael Eacrett (from that blog) is giving one of the sessions. ALternatively, can drop him a mail.

Eddy

PS.

Put yourself on the SDN world map (http://sdn.idizaai.be/sdn_world/sdn_world.html) and earn 25 points.

Spread the wor(l)d!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eddy,

ERP 2005 sits on NW2004s (Basis 7.0), and like you I'm <i><b>very positive</b></i> that we can continue to upgrade to this release <b>WITHOUT</b> a unicode conversion.

The question is will later release of SAP (eg SAP ERP 2007) require/force a unicode conversion prior to upgrading?

I will take your advice and send Michael Eacrett an email regarding this issue also. If he replys, I'll post it here (unless someone gives me an answer first 😃

Cheers

Shaun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaun,

Mike and I are colleagues and both cover Unicode...

For the foreseeable future, you will be able to <b>upgrade</b> single codepage systems and will not be forced to convert to Unicode. Although I'm sure at some point this will change, it is impossible to tell when. Let's just say that for the next release of SAP NetWeaver (after 2004s), this will still be the case. And I would bet at least a 12-pack of beer that it will be the case for the release of SAP NetWeaver after that, too. Beyond that is way too far in computing years (like dog years, think of Moore's law) to make any reasonable prediction.

If you have an ERP system, you do not have to be so concerned. There is no mySAP ERP 2007. It was announced during TechEd in Las Vegas that there will not be another major release of ERP until 2010. It is too soon to predict whether that release will be Unicode only.

All-in-all, it is best to convert to Unicode, though. The problems solved by service architecture, etc. are not fully realized in single codepage systems due to the chance of data loss during language conversions between systems.

Hope this helps...

Best Regards,

Matt

Answers (0)