cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for handling custom apps tracks with regards to EP upgrade?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We've are currently in the progress of upgrading from EP 6 to EP 7.0, and in that context we need to "move" our tracks containg development of custom J2EE components.

What we've done so far is :

1.Create a new version 7.00 of each software component we have developed with correct EP 7 dependencies

2. Create a new version 7.00 of our product in the SLD: Bouvet_EP

3. Attached the new versions of the SCs to the new product version

4. Create a new track with the SC of version 7.00 along with relevant dependencies

My question now is how do we get the EP 6 component source code into the new track, so that we can change dependecies of the DCs and build it again for EP 7.0?

Should we somehow export the code from the old track, check in and transport ? (how do we then export the code from the track)

Regards

Dagfinn

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sid-desh
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Dagfinn,

This is a really interesting thread. I have not encountered this scenario till now. However i can only guess.

1. Copy the latest sca files generated for all the SC's in your track from one of the subdirectories of JTrans and place those sca files in the inbox directory of target CMS. Check if these sca are available in the Check-in tab. I think this will not work because the SC verion you have defined in SLD for WAS 7.0 is different than the one in SLD for WAS 6.40.

2. Second and crude method may be you create a SC in the source SLD similar to ones created in target SLD. Create a track for these SC's in the source system. Then create a track connection between the newly created track and existing tracks. Forward all the sources to the target track. Then assemble this SC and copy the sca file and repeat the process above.

I dont know. Possibly this may click. Notes 877029 & 790922 also give some hints on migration of JDI server.

Please do keep this thread updated with your progress.

Regards

Sidharth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi and thanks for your answer,

Just a couple of clarifitcations.

It is only the EP system which will be upgraded, NWDI and SLD system are the same as before(we've imported delta-package for sld so we have the new products).

I recently came over the following blog

/people/manohar.sreekanth/blog/2005/09/21/best-practicesjdi-branching-patterns-use-cases

and based on it, I think I will create a temporary one-time track connection from the old to the new track in order to import the old sources. The CBS will fail to build the imported SC, but sources should be imported into the DTR and therefore I should be able to do the necessary changes so that it works on EP 7.0 also. When all is fine, the old track will be deleted.

I am currently waiting for the target support stack SPS09 to be done first, before I start working on this.

Regards

Dagfinn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just a quick review of what we did

1. Created new version of SCs in SLD (with same dependencies)

2. Create new product version in SLD with new SC versions

3. Update CMS with new SLD data

4. Create new track with the new SC versions

5. Took the assemblies from the old track (/usr/sap/trans/Trans/EPS/in/assembled/) and checked in to new track. This will import the sources into the inactive developer workspace

6. Created projects and activities in NWDS like normal. Here it was important to include any central DC files such as .dcdef, build.xml and some other files, otherwise the component wouldn't even attempt compilation in other workspaces. This appears to be a bug from SAP's side

All in all, it went quite smoothly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dagfinn Parnas,

we faced the same situation, and i followed your guide. We upgraded from NW04 SPS19 to NW04s SPS18. Everything went well so far.

Unfortunatly we still two issues open

1. In Assembly Step of new Track we cannot change Patch Level or Support Package. Only the Option "keep current" is active, what`s wrong, becaus it`s from NW04 SPS19. Did you solve this?

2. In 6. you mention

"Here it was important to include any central DC files such as .dcdef, build.xml and some other files, otherwise the component wouldn't even attempt compilation in other workspaces. This appears to be a bug from SAP's side"

What did you mean with this? Does this solve our Problem in 1.?

Regards and thanks for advice

Oliver

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dagfinn

Adding on to what Sidharth has said , I would definitely look at note 790922 for this. The SCA will be available after the assembly track for import into you new track.

I dont see any problem during checkin or imports because of archive release being a different with the release of the component definition in the SLD. However this is just my assumption.

The other thing you will have to take care obviously will be refreshing any external libraries you have used from the runtime of EP 7.0

Tell us how it goes

Regards

Pran