cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2004S MiniSAP ABAP: SAPGUI crashes when creating a Web Service

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have installed the NW2004S ABAP Preview System from SDN on a VMWare Image (Windows XP, 1.7 GB Mem).

No problems during the install. Also I was able to run the sample Web Dynpro Quiz Application.

However when try to create a Web Service the SAP GUi crashes with the Windows Error Message "dispwork.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." Interestingly enough the "dispwork.exe" process in the MMC continues to be green and I can reconnect.

Here are the detailed steps if you want to try to re-produce:

1) Select Package SAPBC_IBF_SCUSTOMER

2) Select Function Module "BAPI_FLCUST_GetList"

3) Right mouse click and Create -> Web Service

4) Web Service Wizard opens, type in name for Web Service (Z_...) and continue with the default settings

5) Creat as Local Object

Result: After about 5 minutes of compiling the SAP GUI crashes. The Web Service is not created (checked in WSADMIN)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Will reward points for hints which lead to a resolution.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

OK I may have found the OSS Note that describes this problem. Have a look at OSS Note 973675. Here is how I came to think this is the magic OSS Note.

First of all I tried to put on SPS9. Everything went fine until I reached XPRA_EXECUTE. It kept dumping the background work process with the same access violation trace information as when I tried to activate the Web Service Virtual Interface.

The step in XPRA that it was failing on was WEBI_AFTER_IMPORT. I don't think it is coincidence that this is the function module for processing virtual interfaces of web services after an upgrade. Surely this was related to the original problem.

The OSS Note that describes this error says that you can't create runtime configurations for web services. It was caused by an incorrect entry in configration for the object WEBI before the upgrade. I checked and the configuration is set to the incorrect setting in the Sneak Preview system.

According to the note even if you correct the configuration, you have to repeat the upgrade (which we can't do on the sneak preview). The only other option is to wait for SPS10!

Of course without SPS10 we can't be 100% sure if this fixes our particular problem, but it does seem highly likely.

Incidently for anyone who tries to put on SPS9 on the sneak preview, I guess you will run into the same problem with XPRA_EXECUTE. You can't complete the upgrade because that step keeps failing. What I did to get around the problem is to go into the abap editor and comment out all the logic in WEBI_AFTER_IMPORT and rerun the step. Everything completed then. Of course I still have the original problem with web service activation, but at least now my system will be in a state where I can put on SPS10 when it comes out.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas, thanks for taking the time to do all of this investigation. So what you are really saying is that we are stuck with a sneak preview version in which we can not work with web services?

Its funny, web services worked fine with SP4 and I had all kinds of the other problems. Now in SP8, all those problems are fixed, and web services doesn't work.

Do you think Dirk and friends have some ideas/tricks?

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm glad to see it wasn't just me having this problem. I installed the SPS8 version of the 2004s ABAP trial a couple weeks ago and immediately tried to apply SPS9 and kernel patches, etc. (with a lot of help from your blog 3930, even though some things have changed since then).

I ran into this same problem you describe but since there had been some other problems along the way too, I decided to uninstall the whole server and start over. Uninstallation and getting a clean installation again was a mess (maybe the new cleanup utility would have helped some) but I got past that.

The second time through, I made a lot of improvements, which I'll list here since they may help others, but still ran into this problem in the XPRA_EXECUTION phase.

Improvements to process:

1) Backup database first, just in case

2) Share the c:\SAP directory as Sapmnt so that SPAM can find the packages

3) Add at least one extra batch process, since the default installation only gives one and more are needed for the support package installation (the easy way is to increase rdisp/wp_no_btc in the NSP* profile in C:\SAP\NSP\SYS\profile)

4) While in the profile, change ztta/cua_area = 250000 to avoid some errors logged in trace files for having that too low

5) Also in the profile, put the slash between the directory and file name in ssf/ssfapi_lib and sec/libsapsecu

6) Also in the profile, add "dynpro/generate_in_separate_luw = N", as per note 949737

7) Request and install a new license key before applying the support packages.

All of the above were changes I made after finding errors or problems and these solve the problems. Some errors also led me to upgrade MAXDB from 7.60 build 32 to 33 (pretty painless if note 735598 is followed carefully) but I'm not sure that really solved anything.

I tried hard to debug the WEBI_AFTER_IMPORT problem and narrowed it down to when it's trying to create a transformation for a function and XSLT_MAINTENANCE is called and then inside the Activate method and the Check method it calls. I ended up not able to solve this problem but also hoping that SPS10 would do so, as per note 973675. I just removed the AFTER_IMP method for WEBI from table OBJM temporarily while letting SPAM continue.

I too will be waiting to see if SPS10 helps or if someone comes up with a solution. Ideally, a new version of the trial could be posted which incorporates the above improvements and includes SPS9 or SPS10 so that those installing it fresh don't have to go through so many issues...

Message was edited by James Webster at 10/10/2006 5:36 p.m. EST to add point 7 to the list of improvements.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James

How do you remove the AFTER_IMP method for WEBI from table OBJM temporarily?

I can't do it through se16 and I can't seem to do it through sm30 either...

Reagards,

Jacob Vennervald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just in stack upgrade for ECC6.0 BASIS and we had the problem !

Many thanks for your help as remove methob from WEBI in SOBJ let us continue the BASIS upgrade.

Best regards.

JLB

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Matthias,

there is a thread about this /thread/266221 [original link is broken] and how to fix it.

regards, Manfred

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I had the exact same response. Even thought DispWork reports the error, it still should show as running green in the MMC. Remember that you have multiple DispWork threads (one for each Work Process). If the work process restarts or core dumps, then its DispWork thread ends at the OS level. However the dispatcher will "restart" the work process - basically launching a new dispwork thread. If you look in SM50 you should see a number of errors on the work process that ended.

Looking at the Work Process log for the terminated thread can sometimes be helpful. However in this case it shows lots of report generation then without warning we get an Access Violation in disp+work.exe right after the semaphore clean-up.

My first guess without much in the logs to go on would be to try a Kernel upgrade. It certain looks like the error is coming out of the Kernel or should at least be caught without dumping the work process. The SP9 Kernel is out there. I will try that tonight, but someone else might be able to try it sooner.

Former Member
0 Kudos

me too:

CCMS: Monitoring Architecture disabled, MoniSegmentSize too small: 0 bytes.

• ERROR => CCMS: unable to connect to montoring segment of application server! [alxxappl.c 975]

• ERROR => IcmAlInit: AlInit_R3Kernel_AS failed (rc=249) [icxxalrt.c 211]

• ERROR => Alerting error 244: MoniSegmentSize too small: 0 bytes. [icxxalrt.c 214]

any ideas?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Well I still get the problem even after applying the Kernel patch. I tried the exact same steps in a non-Sneak Preview system that is also 04S SPS8 and the problem did not occur - so it is certainly specific to the sneak preview system.

I had planned to patch the entire system to SPS9 anyway in the next few days. I will post if that solves the problem or not.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi Matthias, I have tested your senario in my system, my results are a little different, after creating as local object, my system did crash completly, MMC still showed green, I logged in again and tried to create it again, but it says that it already exists. Check in WSADMIN, but I can't find it anywhere.

REgards,

Rich Heilman

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Ok, the reason I couldn't find it in WSADMIN is because it was inactive. So in SE80, I switched to Local Objects, under the Enterprise Services folder, my web service was there in an inactive state, from there I tried to active it, again, my system crashes.

REgards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rich! At least now I know that it is not my limited ABAP knowledge which led to the error

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

This is really not good for me, I was planning to start learning about web services next week. Bummer.

Its funny, my old version of NW2004s(first sneak preview), web services worked fine, but I had a lot of other problems with that system. Now in the SP08 version all of the problems went away, and now web services doesn't work.

Maybe one of our friends at SAP will help us out, as I'm sure we are not the only ones.

Regards

Rich Heilman