Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Development Landscape for XI

dhagigeorgiou
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

In most cases the proposed optimum landscape for an XI project is the following:

2 XI servers such that

DEV R/3 linked via logical name to XI DEV and

PRD R/3 linked via logical name to XI PRD)

Asking the customer to buy 2 servers for XI in some cases does not sit well.

It is usually the case that the customer (already a SAP customer) has DEV + PRD R/3.

Can we use only one XI server to carry out both productive work and tests / developement work when needed. I am thinkg of filtering messages based on the logical name of the R/3 system. I do not know if this is safe since as far as i know when a DEV system is refreshed and kept uptodate by copying over the PRD the logical name is copied over as well. Therefore the above solution will have a high risk.

Anyone outhere that have faced a similar dilemma and come up with a neet solution?

Thanks

Dimitris Hagigeorgiou

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member206604
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

No its not at all advisable to have a same server for Dev and Prod. There are certain Best Practices proposed by SAP like DEV>QA>PORD and its advisable to follow it and there are lots of reason behind this kind of landscape.

At this point of time it might sounds good to have a one box which will server as DEV and PROD. But think of if something goes wrong and there are lots of chances to go wrong are DEV. As the name says its a development system ofcourse things will go worng quite often. If the same system is used for Prod then its all Business data and no orgn will compromise of loosing real time business data. There are lot many parameters apart from that like security etc..

Thanks,

Prakash

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Dimitris Hagigeorgiou,

It is not at all adviceable to have DEV and PRD in one server.

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>>Can we use only one XI server to carry out both productive work and tests

NEVER

dev XI needs to sit on a different server then prd

maybe you can use the server on which you have your dev r3 and put dev XI there?

Regards,

michal