cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM59 - Proxy Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the role of an Proxy Host, Proxy Service in Genral? Why we need a Proxy Server?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tech. speaking: Proxy is an object/ process authroized to act for another.In XI, Proxy can be used to setup on sender channel(to encapsulate the data) or receiver channel(XML parsing etc.,).

Proxy runtime in IE controls these objects.

Advantages: Security, caching and administrative control.

Thanks-GS

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In simpler terms

Server Proxy-

Receiving and processing a request message is thru Server Proxy.

Proxy Service- http service provided by proxy host

Proxy Host- Service provider

Regards,

Moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could some one explain me in layman terms please.

Whats a Proxy Server? Why do we need that?

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Simpler terms-

It is an intermediate between a client and server. It receives a request, and acts accordingly

webdefinitions-

<i>

A server that acts as an intermediary between a workstation user and the Internet so that the enterprise can ensure security, administrative control, and caching service. A proxy server is associated with or part of a gateway server that separates the enterprise network from the outside network and a firewall server that protects the enterprise network from outside intrusion.

An advantage of a proxy server is that its cache can serve all users. </i>

Regards,

Moorthy

former_member206604
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Proxy :

Forget about XI, in general what is a proxy? For example you might have heared about proxy attendence during your school/college days like some of your friend will be giving a attendence instead of you (on behalf of you).

So your friend is a Proxy for you.

Simillarly instead of XI there is some piece of code which is present on the applications itself on behalf of XI

The client or the server proxy differ from who triggers the process. Say if the Sender is a Proxy then it is client proxy (this is same as your requesting a URL from a browser like www.sdn.sap.com so obviously you are the client and the call is initiated from you). The vice versa is server proxy, that is if the call is initiated by XI then it is server proxy.

Examples lloks funny right but this is how I used to explain to my friends and they understood it )

Thanks,

Prakash

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>Why we need a Proxy Server?

proxy server is responsible for handling incomming calls

(from proxy clients)

it's like a web service and web service client

you call a web service via a WS client

and Web service is supposed to handle/process the call