cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Scenario would you choose: 2+ or 3 and why?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am having doubts regarding which Scanario to choose for our Development process: 2+ or 3.

The way I see it, the main difference between them is that Scenario 2+ build all the DCs on one SC and that Scenario 3 creates its DCs on multiple SCs.

My questions are:

1. Am I right?

2. What are the main benefits of Scenario 3?

3. Suppose we have X DynPro Projects that we are migrating now to DCs. Will it be wise to build all of them (and future projects) under one SC? If yes, than what do I need Scenario 3 for?

Thank you in advance for clearing these points.

Roy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roy

Scenarion 3 is mainly for SAP's own development process where they are using multiple tracks and merging them to produce a Product(Which is known as layered development).Each track has it's own SC specific to a purpose which in turn consists of DC's.

In most of the custom development scenarion we will use 2+ scenario where we can use single track only which can contain many SC's under it.

Hope this helps

Ananda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ananda,

Thank you for the input.

So suggest to create all our Dtnpro projects under one track? And how we will arrange them? Each one as a seperate SC or build one SC for all the projects and creating each new project as a DC below this one SC?

Regards,

Roy

Former Member
0 Kudos

The question if you can put different DC's in the same SC and multiple SC's in one track is answered by the lifecycles of each of these entities. If there are different lifecycles, you should separate components.

First define your release management strategy for your components and then you can determine what goes where.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal,

Yes, you are right. After giving it more thought I understand that since each project has its own lifecycle, it will be unwise to create all of them under one SC.

My question now moves to a higher level and it is regarding a Product definition. When do I define a Product and what do you think is best: To create one Product called, for example, MyOrgProjects and create each Project as an SC inside this product or to create different Products for each project? I assume, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that this organization is more logically than practical but it is important for me to deeply understand these terms before I deside on a strategy.

Regards,

Roy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

When you define a Product and define Software components within it. Then one would assume that the Software components in this case are dependant on each other and form logical parts of the Product. If you look at the

standard Product definitions of SAP in the SLD it gives you ideas into what a Product means. It wouldnt make sense to define something like MyOrgProjects as a Product ,in this case grouping seems to be based on Departments. In my opinion Product definition should be based on actual application you are trying to build.

Regards

Pran

Former Member
0 Kudos

I fully agree with Pran.

Answers (0)