cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone suggest why Dev Studio can't see the server engine

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have NW2004s/SP08 installed. The server J2EE engine runs fine and one can log into the server and succssfully deploy jar's directly to it.

We also have Dev Studio installed on a desktop and it works fine. We have our J2EE preferences set using the actual IP address of the server J2EE engine and port number 3061. (We can ping this IP address successfully.)

When we try to do a Deploy/Run from Dev Studio and monitor this attempt on the server side, we can see Dev Studio trying to connect.

But it doesn't connect. In Dev Studio, we just get a message saying "sdmhost empty or unknown".

What's missing in our config? It was set up for us by externals no longer here. Since we can successfully ping the IP of the server from the PC, and since we can see DevStudio trying to connect, it can't be a network connectivity problem.

Thanks for any suggestions as to where to look/what to do.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi Dave, I see you mentioned port 3061 in your post. I wondering if this may have been a typo as I believe your port should be 3601 instead of 3061.

Regards,

Regards,

Rich Heilman

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Also, thanks for spotting the question so quickly. The Basis guys think it may be a patch-level problem - there are some notes out there about problems seeing the right nic card in earlier patch-levels. (Our NW2004s box is a windows server.) But if you can think of anything else, we'd be extremely grateful.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

So have you tried changing the port to 3601? Or was it a typo, this would definitly cause your problem.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

To determine the correct message server port, log on to the WebUI of the WebAS and choose System Information.

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Rich -

In the client Dev Studio, Windows->Preferences->J2EE Engine has always been 3601. The typo "3061" was only in my psot here. But like I said, thanks very much for catching this typo in the post, because if you hadn't, people might have assumed that was the problem. I'll try what Pascal suggests and double-check the 3601 directly. If the port is correct, I guess we'll just have to wait till someone has time to patch-upwards from SP08. Like I said, the install was done by externals who aren't here at the moment.

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Pascal -

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll ask them to do what you suggest and get a visual confirm of the port. I don't have the server privs, so that side of things is a black-box to me at this point.

If the port number is something else, I'll be sure to come back to tag you for 10.

Thanks again.

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the meantime you can try port 3900, this is the default message server port for nw2004s servers (this has changed from nw2004).

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Pascal -

I am indebted to you for your kindness in taking the time to answer such a trivial question.

I assume that because the client is now asking me for the SDM password, your solution is correct. (It didn't ask me for a password before - I just got the error message.)

So I've tagged your reply for 10, even though I don't know the password so can't completely confirm yet.

I'll cycle back and confirm once I have the password.

Thanks very much again.

Dave

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Pascal -

Yeah - that's what happened. The externals set up the NW2004s box with the default "3900". Our admin forgot that he should be looking at the JAVA message server, and therefore didn't notice the "3900" instead of the "3601" until you mentioned it.

Thanks very much again.

Dave

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Pascal,

Its solved my problem.

Damodhar.