cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client specific Backup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

We have a ECC 5.0 system with client 400 and 600. Just few days day a big project has been completed in client 400. Developers imported/build SAP dataset in client 400. Now they want to have a complete backup of 400 ONLY.

Is it possible to have a backup from a single client?

If yes how?

Thanks and regards,

Pratip

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

But why should they need back up of 400 only. If backup is taken the 400 data would be backed up as well. But the client can be backed up on a different system with Remote Client Copy or Client transports.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JPReyes
Active Contributor

Hi Pratip,

You can do a client export using R3trans to create a dump file then you can backup this file, then you can do a client import to recover from the dump.

the command is R3trans -w

Hope this help!

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi! Juan,

Thanks very much for your detail answer. Can I request you to give me the detail step by step commands/procedure for this client export (+ import)/ creating these dump files.

Will all data (client dependent and indipendent)be captured

with this?

best regards,

Pratip

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont think export and import can be viewed as a backup strategy.

If some thing goes wrong how will you recover the DB?

Where is the chance of point in time recovery?

Just tell the guys that it's not possible and take a full backup which keeps you on a safer side

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pratip,

You will need to create a control file and specify parameters for the client export,

Create a new file using notepad with following info and save it as EXPORT.<Client> (Example EXPORT.500)

CLIENTEXPORT

file='<drive>:\<path>\<name_of thedump>.dmp'

Client=XXX

select *

The drive and path is where the dump file will be created, make sure you have enough space is a big file (several gigs if the db is large)

The open a command prompt is the path where the EXPORT.XXX file is and run this command

r3trans -w <logfile>.log -u 1 Export.XXX

for the import do the same the control file should specify location of the file and client

IMPORT

file='<drive>:\<path>\<name_of thedump>.dmp'

client=XXX

the command is

r3trans -w <logfile>.log -U 1 import.xxx

Thats it!

Hope this help

Juan

<b>As Bapujee said this can't be consider a Backup strategy. It's useful for client refresh and during development. I Also fully recomend a Full backup!</b>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Juan,

I will follow the steps.

Again thx very much for U R quick and detail reply.

Already I have given points(6) 2 times.

Thanks and regards,

Pratip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I want to know if we have multiple production client(as SAP recommened,with diffrent goups or company) in a single system its a must to have client based backup.Why SAP has not given option for client specific backups, rather than full database backup or inport/export facility.Since as we all know import/export is not a backup strategy.

Also one more question,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dinesh,

To understand this you need to understand how database acts in coordination with SAP. A SAP client is logical partion with in the SAP system but no such partioning happens at database level.

Mutiple clients in the same SAP instance will have the same repository objects however the only difference will be with client dependent objects- in simpler terms all the tables with the field MANDT. This field determines if a table is client specific or not.

For example you have a table XYZ and it has MANDT field in it. Also assume that you have 2 clients 100 and 200.

When you make changes to the table in client 100 they wont' show up in client 200.

However at the databse the entry in client 100 will be stored like this.

MANDT Field1 Field2 .............FieldN

100 abcd sdf ............... lmn

abcd,sdf and lmn are just for example and can be considered to be the values stored in other fields for the table.

Similarily, when you make changes to the table in client 200 they wont' show up in client 100.

At the databse the entry in client 200 will be stored like this.

200 abcd sdf ............... lmn

So while SAP will be able to distinguish very easily the database wont find it easy.

At database level table XYZ will have entires stored like this:

100 abcd sdf ............... lmn

200 abcd sdf ............... lmn

This is just one table. There are hundreds and thousands of client specific tables.

Now taking back up of an individual client means you actually have to take back up of just a part of the database !!!. Selective back up!!! And just not selective but also logical back up.I mean the back up script will have to first look fofr tables which are client specific then segregate the data on basis of client and then do the selective back up. Also back up is done at OS level not at the SAP application level so it is all that more harder. I dont think that selective back up of database which in case of SAP will translate into back up of a single client is possible as such. Mght be with special techniques but very cumbersome. I dont know frankly if such a technique exisits though I think it will not be exisitng.Also with this logic only back up of client specific data will be possible. What abt client independent data and repository.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No.It's not possible.