cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Adapter Stores temp file?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm assuming a sender file adapter will store a copy of the retrieved file in the OS somewhere. Does anyone know where this file would be stored and does it only exist until the adapter has completed processing of the file?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If we configure in that manner it will be archived,

Thanks & Regards

Agasthuri Doss

Former Member
0 Kudos

I realize that we can set the adapter to archive but even before that I believe if we're FTPing a file from some remote site IT HAS to make a local copy of the file (at least temporarily) until the adapter completes it's processing. It's either that or it stores it in RAM? I've got to believe even if my processing is set to test that XI at least temporarily stores the file somewhere?

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Generally, Files get archived after file is processed by Adapter engine. If you choose Archive option.

If you want to do before this, you can use of Shell Script , which will be executed by Operating System Command from the Sender file adapter

Have a look into this SAP help-

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/e3/94007075cae04f930cc4c034e411e1/content.htm

Regards,

Moorthy

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

STALANKI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can store the file temporarily by choosing file adapter attribute ...otherwise I donot think it will place in XI box physical location.

Go to transaction AL11 from ABAP STACK.Check out the file adapter directory and troubleshoot.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So I guess based on everyone's comments the File adapter will copy the entire contents of a remote file locally in XI's RAM? Doesn't seem accurate that it would do that but from what everyone's saying I guess that's the case?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shaun

I would suggest you to get in touch with SAP for this. Because this is the internal programming/routing & from our side we can only make assumptions.

Sometime questions came to my mind also that which Service they(SAP) are calling while doing certain XI function & can I customize that ?

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shaun,

Would appreciate if you can document your findings here on the forum too.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhavesh,

Just didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. I have not found an definitive answer to this as of yet. If I do I will post here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry folks I don't think I was clear in my original question. All I want to know is when the sender file adapter connects to some remote system to retrieve a file...

1) Does XI physically move the file to the XI box (regardless of the archive/delete/test setting) or does it simply load it in RAM? For the adapter to be able to process the file my assumption is that it has to be loaded somewhere on the XI box.

2) If it physically moves the file to the XI box where does it temporarily place it?

I'm aware of the archive setting and other options for creating local copies. I just want to know the "inner workings" of how the sender file adapter moves the files.