cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question: what is a client of a system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is a really stupid probelm, I have got it.

-

I'm reading the XI online help.

When creating a business system,you need to select a technical system which is used to define for your business system, then you need to select a client which you use to define for this technical system.

Because I cann't log on a SLD, so can anybody explain me what is a client of a technical system?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Hui

btw: Must reward for good anwsers.

Message was edited by: Wang Hui

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member192798
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It refers to the 'client' of application system.

In general, a client is a logical division of data within an SAP system. Some things, like application data are mostly client-dependent, meaning that for example, a G/L account defined in client 123 of system ABC is only visible in that client. Therefore if you logon to client 456 of system ABC you will not be seeing the same database entity (if it is defined at all).

At a technical level, client dependent data simply resides in database tables that have the client number as a key field (typically the first key field).

Multiple clients within an SAP system are often used in development, testing and training systems - so that individuals can work in the same system (on the same codeset) but in isolation of each other.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Praveen

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

you use the client to log on via SAPgui

it has it's own set of table entries (client specific)

http://www.erpgenie.com/general/glossary.htm#sectC

Regards,

michal