cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Solution Manager 4.0 to control SLD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone:

I've installed SolMan 4.0 on an Instance, and in another instance, a whole NetWeaver stack 2004s. Now I'm configuring XI and as a pre-req I need SLD configured.

My question is, do I need to configure it on SolMan, or just in the Java side of my installation? if I do it only on JAva, will I be able to "see" it on the Sol Man?

Thanks a lot!

Alejandro

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For Planning to use SLD keep in mind this SLD needs to be always on,

so an HA solution is helpful, independent if it is local in PI/XI or Solman.

and an other aspect may be the usage and Network traffic to fulfill the requirements in all of your connected Systems

(similar to the Transporting Filesystem from R/3 up to now with ABAP)

in the near future all the SAP-will use SLD .... (PI/XI SolMan BW MDM ECC ...)

former_member218864
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Alejandro,

You just need one central SLD for all your landscape, you just need to decide where to put it. Is not true that you must have a local SLD for XI, XI needs an active SLD but can be local or remote.

You can configure one CENTRAL SLD for all your systems, first decide which will be your SLD, then you can configure all your systems to "send" their own information to the CENTRAL sld. see the link: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/43/01ea90ab24235de10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm in the secction "Configuring Systems to Connect to SLD".

When you finish with this all your systems will be sending their information to the SLD periodically.

SolMan and XI uses the information stored in the SLD to opperate correctly, so now you must do some customizations in order to have SolMan and XI reading information from SLD.

In the case of SolMan you can make some customizations in order to have the landscape (SMSY) up to date using the SLD as data source. Do not get confused with the SLD and the transaction SMSY because there are different things.

Read the document "How to: Exchanging System Data between SMSY and SLD " from the link below:

https://websmp209.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_FRAME=OBJECT&_HIER_KEY=501100035870000009816&_HIER_KEY=601...

And XI is the same thing. You can configure it to connect to your central SLD. look on the post installation of your XI version.

In our case we have one central SLD instaled on the java stack of our solution manager server, and we have one server form BW, another server for Enterprise Portal, and another server for PI (previuously called XI). All of them sends their own information to SLD. And Portal, XI and SolMan reads information from the central SLD. So now our SMSY in SolMan is allways up to date, also XI.

Regards.

Gustavo Balboa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alejandro,

You can use the SLD from the XI instance for the Solution Manager. There are some settings to be made in the ABAP stack of the SolMan system in order to connect to the SLD, but thats a simple task (transaction SMSY_SETUP)

Regards,

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal

Thanks for the answer. the SolMan has it's own SLD, and must be configured on XI, or is it backwards?

Thanks!

Alejandro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can any one throw light on the same as i am looking for the same answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alejandro,

you CAN configure a local SLD on the SolMan system (if you've installed the J2EE engine).

But you MUST have a local SLD on your XI server.

So when you're installing SolMan J2EE engine, you will be prompted if you want a local SLD or connect to the existing one on your XI server...

what SolMan then does is synchronizing the systems which are defined in SLD of XI and the local database which you can display with transaction SMSY.

Regards,

Pascal

former_member186439
Participant
0 Kudos

They did a session on this topic at TechEd (see /people/boris.zarske/blog/2006/07/28/ulm206-landscape-strategies-for-the-system-landscape-directory-of-sap-netweaver). Maybe if you contact the presenter he can send you the slides.

One thing to keep in mind is that the SLD that supports XI is part of your production landscape, so putting it on the XI server is a likely good idea.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Plus I believe it is SAP recommended best practice that is a site has XI then SKLD resided in XI and Solution NManager can connect here and actually since you would have all systems on SMSY in Solman then XI gets synched via solution manager

let me know if this helps

J