Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Sneak Preview - Cannot Logon

ramki_maley
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I have succesfully installed the ABAP sneak preview (from the DVD I got at TechEd2006) on XP professional, but not able to logon. I have Norton Internet Security 2006. I had no luck with NIS disabled. Here are my logon pad & services file details. Question is do I have to install the Loopback adapter? (I have a wireless home network).

<u>Logon Pad:</u>

Description: NSP

App Server: localhost

System Id: NSP

System Number: 00

<u>Services:</u>

Deleted - Ramki

Message was edited by: Ramki Maley

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Yes, you need the loopback adapter, after that make sure that you update the host file also.

C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetchosts

Add an entry for your machine.

10.10.0.10	<computer_name>

Regards,

Rich Heilman

ramki_maley
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rich,

Still no luck. Don't I need to change the logon pad (I tried changing the localhost to my computer name as in the hosts file)? I first start the App Server and then try to logon. Is there something I am missing?

Best Regards.

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

is the NSP node in SAPMMC is started completely (green in color)?

the change you have done to your logon pad entry is right.

Regards

Raja

ramki_maley
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

Just after I start the App. Server, The Node is green but in about 3 or 4 minutes it turns yellow. Also under my NSP node in the console, I have two sub nodes. One is with Blue cylinder icon with 'XXX' (XXX is my computer name)with no sub nodes and another a Server Icon (this icon also turns yellow) with 'XXX 0' and has multiple sub nodes.

Am I missing something here? Is there something I need to do with the console before logging in?

One other thing, I cannot restart the app server after stopping it (times out) without rebooting my PC.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Ramki Maley.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ramki, first let me explain what you are seeing in the console. The blue cilinder you are refering to is the actual NSP database. The second subnode, the server icon, is the actual WAS and initiates several actions and should result in the creation of active processes for: 1) msg_server, 2) dispwork, and 3) igswd. In my experience all these processes initially turn green and minutes later dispwork turns back yellow. At this point you simply have to be patient, it will turn back green! Also if you are not connected to your newtork you do require MS loopback adapter and your hosts file should contain an entry like: 127.0.0.1 Localhost. If you have met all these requirements you should be fine. Kind regards, Tiest.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ramki_maley
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your responses. Turns out the problem is my computer name! I had a special character (an underscore) in my computer name and it seems it is a no no! Though the NSP starts correctly and I got the green, it turns yellow and stays yellow. I found a message in the console log which indicated there is a DB problem possibly due to unwanted characters in the computer name.

Cheers,

Ramki Maley.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ramki, thanks a lot for letting everyone out here know how you solved your problem! I hactually did not know the underscore was a no go. Please set this forum item to solved for future usage and have fun programming.

Actually you did disregard my remark and great to see people make the most of this forum.

Tiest.

Message was edited by: Tiest van Gool

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

also the computer name cannot be more than 13 characters long.

Regards

Raja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramki,

Try setting the IP address of the AppServer in the logon pad to your current IP address (wireless network).

Regards,

Erwin

ramki_maley
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That did not work either.

Thanks,

Ramki Maley.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Please try one more thing. Add this line to your hosts file. I don't know why I have this here, but I believe that I need it because of the IP address, when i try to log on to my system for a second time, it gives that message about multiple log ons and it shows this IP. I don't remember where I got this IP.

127.0.0.1       localhost

Regards,

Rich Heilman