cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a gateway required when DB host different from CI host?

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you run with WEB AS abap CI on one host and DB on another host, do you normally put a SAP GATEWAY on the DB host?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

normally not, because the communication between CI on one host and db on another host or done on the database level, e.g. oracle client on CI and oracle server software on DB host. Within MaxDB it's nearly the same, also an MaxDB client software on CI and MaxDB server software package on the DB host.

In general you need a SAP standalone gateway of you, e.g run a APO/SCM on a UNIX box and the APO/SCM optimizer on Windows. To be able to call the exe files on windows from the UNIX based APO core system, you need a standaolne gateway. With this the communication looks like this:

APO Core on UNIX -

> RFC -

> Standalone Gateway on Win ---> call the exe binary locally

HTH

Frank

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think there is a fundamental difference in that you have a .rhosts file.

Our UNIX guys tell me that is a security exposure and will not allow me to use it.

I've installed a standalone gateway on the DB server in the meantime, and it looks like the 2 servers are now talking to each other, but it looks like I have more work to do around the setup of the adm user that the gateway install creates.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers....John.

Cheers....John.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not sure about brarchive but ...

DB host and CI host both UNIX with rsh installed

<sid>adm exists on DB host with

similar .dbenv_`hostname`.sh and .sapenv_`hostname`.{c]sh (plus .cshrc, .profile, .logon)

.rhost entry on DB host to allow rsh from <sid>adm@CI host.

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run identical on both hosts (perhaps NFS mount from CI host)

same NFS set-up for

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/global

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/profile

With the above, DB13 jobs such as stats check, runstats and automatic reorg works. I don't use brarchive so I don't what problems it has...

Former Member
0 Kudos

What about in a situation where you want to run backups etc from DB13 on the CI host?

I have a CI, plus DB instance, plus 2 app instances.

I am getting the following error in DB13 on the CI host:

"SXPG_COMMAND_EXECUTE failed for BRARCHIVE - Reason: x_error"

SAP themselves have suggested installing a standalone gateway on the DB host, but I've just tried it today and got this error:

SAP system ABC exists and is not suitable for this

installation service.

SOLUTION: choose a differnet SAP System ID or

deinstall the existing system.

I'll be going back to SAP about this, but has anyone seen someting similar? Or have the same scenario with DB13 working successfully??

Regards...John.