cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting the values in a lookup table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if it is possible to limit the selectable values in a lookup table based on certain criteria, foremost the content of a separate field.

Example:

A product has a measurement key that determines which sizes are valid for a given product.

Is it possible for MDM to read this key and filter the values of the table holding all the values for all keys?

Hope that was somewhat clear what I'm trying to do.

Best regards,

Anders

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andres:

I believe that what you should do is to place all the products types into Categories. There, you can give different attributes to each product and therefore, limit what the user can choose as its values.

For instance, you have two products A and B. Each one would have a separate "Measure" field.

Create Categories:

Cat_A

Cat_B

with separate attributes:

Cat_A

|____ Measure_A

Cat_B

|____ Measure_B

And in each Measure <b>Attribute</b> (not field) you can specify the correct values for each category (i.e Product type)

When the user chooses Cat_A as the product type, the Measure_A will appear, with its values. The same will happend for Cat_B

I hope that helps

Regards

Alejandro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alejandro.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Your solution would certainly work, but I'm trying to find a solution that minimizes the possibility of the user selecting a measurement not in the right category.

I was hoping there would be some kind of mask functionality on field level, so that a selection in one field would limit the selection options in another.

Best regards,

Anders

former_member192347
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andres,

If I understand it right, you are loking for a Cascading Drop kind of functionality. Where depending upon what's being selected in 1st drop down, values of 2nd drop down gets filtered (limiting the choices in 2nd dropdown) and may be similar could continue for 3rd drop down.

I have a requirement for similar kind of functionality. I know how I can do it using Java/EJB/JSP. Not sure how to model the MDM repository to support it and then to build the iView based on those lookup/hierarchy or Category tables.

Abhay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anders,

it isn't yet possible to constrict the available values in a lookup table. Yet, you can define validations that check on entry if it is valid.

E.g. does your country code in the phone number match the country in the address and such.

In the validation you can define whether the user cannot save an invalid entry (error) or if the systems simply displays a warning message but the entry is saved anyway (warning).

Hope this helps.

Christiane

former_member192347
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anders,

Here is how I solved the porblem (or you can say workaround).

My data looks like this:

Material has properties (three) and each property has multiple characterstics,

for each characterstic there are several test methods. Some mathods apply to multiple characterstics.

I build the catgory table to store the hierarchical information and provided field on iView with type "Pop-up". User won't see the three drop downs for cascading selection, however in Category popup screen they will see "tree structure" similar to windows file manager and User can drill the hierarchy to select material, property, charactersitc and test method.

Data manager also has similar interface for that field. So it's consistent interface in DataManager and in Portal application.

I hope this is helpful.

Abhay

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anders,

The simplest way to help the user with selecting the right values would be in the measurement key look up table have two display fields one for the measurement key and other for the valid values of measurement , this would help the user when he is entering the values for measurement in the products table as the measurement key is displayed against the value being selected.

Please mark helpful answers,

Regards,

Sunmit.