cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i reference master data, instead of distributing/copying?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

is it possible that you keep all the harmonized data on the master data server and the master data clients <i>create references</i> to the master data records only? means, the mdc does not get a real copy of a master data record...

the background of the question goes here: if you've got many customers on one r/3 system, represented by individual r/3 clients, and then you distribute/copy master data to the specific r/3-clients you obtain redundancies on this particular r/3-system.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Matthias,

Consolidation processes on the Master Data Server include the matching of identical records and merging them into one Master Data Server object. Distributing this information to the relevant client system does not mean that there will be a duplicate record on the master data client, but that the existing client record will be updated with the consolidated attribute values. This is done using the obtained key mapping information (which object is stored in what system).

Kind regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

thank you for the answer - but what I wanted to know is, if there is a way, that Master Data ONLY resides on the MDS - assume you've got a kind of Master Data catalogue, which is already cleansed. Can MDCs refer to Master Data by reference then? without holding Master Data locally?

Or is that beyond the MDM approach?

thanx again for your input,

Matthias

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Matthias,

Such an approach would have two major impacts: On the one hand, it would imply that the master data server must keep all relevant master data information of all individual client application systems, which, though being pretty complex, may be feasible.

But, on the other hand, this would also mean that the business processes that already run on the basis of existing master data in the client application systems would have to be reestablished as a whole, which would result in a temporary shut-down of indispensable business. Therefore, any such approach might only be feasible when it came to setting up a totally new business process architecture. But since SAP MDM is focused on consolidating and harmonizing <u>existing</u> heterogeneous system landscapes, the data replication (distribution) is the approach of choice.

Kind regards, Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

a last point to this topic. Assuming (only assuming) you set up a totally new BP Architecture (let's say - starting from the scratch) and time does not matter (so you can shutdown whatever server and whenever necessary).

Given these circumstances: Is it thinkable that <i>then</i> you create an environment where Master Data resides on the MDS only and MDCs refer to Master Data only by reference - I mean, then they hold a link to the Master Data on the MDS...

thank you for your patience

Matthias Kasig

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Matthias,

I think in such an "experimental" landscape, this could be possible.

Kind regards,

Markus