cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUS-MM Querries

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We are implementing SUS-MM scenario. The follwing are the questions that i have for you all-

1.) Is service procurement (i.e. entering service entry sheets and PO of category D)handled by standard SUS-MM scenario?

2.) Since SUS is within the same SRM system and all standard IDOCS and message types already exist to communicate between R/3 and SUS...why would we need XI to communicate between SUS and R/3? My thinking is that PO would be sent in XML and in order to convert that into an IDOC, we use XI. In scenarios where SUS would just be used for Service entry sheets/goods receipts...is XI necessary??

3.)PO's can also be sent to SUS via RFC. Why is XI needed then?

Any suggestions ideas would be appreciated and points will be rewarded.

Thanks,

Sundeep

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sundeep,

1. SUS-MM integration is popular for PDP (plan driven procurement).

Follwing are the comments by other consultants in this forum only (I have not worked on service proc.)

MM-sus supports service scenario however it does not support the multi line servces upto verion 5 ie SRM server 5.5 to my knowledge service scenario is supported on one to one basis ie one line of service Item category d will have only one service line and not multiple service lines.

According to me we can send the service PO to SUS and also can create Service Entry against it. But this functionality is better supported by EBP-SUS scenario.Though I am not sure about this point as I have not worked on such scenario.

2. SUS being considered as external business system by SAP can only accept and release XML and R/3 can release and accept only IDOC. for this conversion of format XI is mandatory.

"" In scenarios where SUS would just be used for Service entry sheets/goods receipts...is XI necessary??""

Here what you are assuming SUS is actually bidding engine to which your bidders can log in . Bidding engine SRM 4.0 onwards is integrated in SRM server only.

Hence if you only need to submit bids against service request created in EBP-Bidding engine then XI would not be necessary.

But if you are implementing SUS system so that bidders can view the PO created as a result of selected bid and further can create invoice and send it ,, then XI is required.

3. "" PO's can also be sent to SUS via RFC ""

is it EBP or SUS you are talking about?

if you are really talking about SUS , pl. let me know . This is first time i am hearing this.

BR

Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all let me thank you for your time and patience !!

You answered some of my questions but there are certain things i am hoping you can clarify on?

2. SUS being considered as external business system by SAP can only accept and release XML and R/3 can release and accept only IDOC. for this conversion of format XI is mandatory

My point really was that since SRM is also an external system and all document flow is handled by Standard IDOCS (Except PO and PR's - handled by RFC's), why cant SUS handle all docuemnt flow in the similar fashion as it is a part of SRM server itself?? Also R/3 can send XML format PO's but you have mentioned that "R/3 can only accept and send IDOCS". If R/3 can send IDOCS why cant SUS also accept IDOCS like SRM Does????

3. "" PO's can also be sent to SUS via RFC ""

is it EBP or SUS you are talking about?

if you are really talking about SUS , pl. let me know . This is first time i am hearing this

Like SRM sending out PO's and PR's via RFC's, why cant SUS also perform the similar functionality as SUS is again within SRM??

Apart from these two questions, i guess you did help me out with other querries. I hope you can help me and full points will be awarded to solve it completely.

Thanks,

Sundeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think we should first discuss the software cmponents for SRM and how SAP looks at it.

Merely SRM is a broad term.

SRM server is a central component which 4.0 onwards take care of EBP+Bidding engine.

SUS is a seperate add on.

SAP interprets EBP as an internal system as it's used by buyer company and accessed by internal employee.

Hence by solution design EBP can interact with R/3 which is also an internal system (for business) with RFCs.

But SUS being an external system which allows access to external business partners i.e. vendors the transmission is ensured in more secured way i.e. XML (extensible mark up language)

Here the datafields can be tagged.

(May be you can obtain further info for technical guys).

Hence:

2. So SRM entire is not an external system. A part of it SUS is.

You are saying R/3 can send POs in XML format. This I assume message type. But SUS is designed to accept the messages in a distinct type of XML which can be given by XI only.

also, If you are connecting EBP to a non sap backend then also the trasmission is through XI.

3. I think the initial explaination about the software components for SRM should answer this.

BR

Dinesh

(Helpful? pl. reward points)

• The content is as per my knowledge. Pl. refer SAP docs for official info.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dinesh,

Thanks once again !!

"I think we should first discuss the software cmponents for SRM and how SAP looks at it."

"Merely SRM is a broad term."

Thanks for the info but i am pretty much familiar with the software components of SRM. I just wanted to point out that your statement " SRM server is a central component which 4.0 onwards take care of EBP+Bidding engine.SUS is a seperate add on" might not be accurate.

PLease refer the master guide where it clearly mentions that SUS is not an add on and is a part of SRM server installation.

For your reference from the master guide: Pg 34

3 Installation of SAP SRM Server comprising

• SAP EBP 5.0

• SAP Bidding Engine

• Supplier Self-Service

So is security the only reason for XI coming to play in a SUS-MM Scenario?

Hypothetically if Security is not a concern, can SUS-MM scenario be implemented without XI? I am just trying to find out the technical capabilities, since now we know SUS is not an Add on and is within the SRM server, it should be able to perform what EBP can with R/3?

Sorry to bother you so much.

Thanks

Sundeep

Thanks,

Sundeep

Message was edited by: Sundeep Ravande

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dinesh,

I think you made the point clear that since SUS is an interaction with external business partners (i.e. vendors etc) communication via XI is a more secure way of achieving it !!

I agree with you on that statement and is a valid point for XI's role between SUS and R/3. Are there any other reasons that advocates the role of XI in a SUS-MM scenario?

Thanks

Sundeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dinesh,

One more question .....Did SAP build the SUS system to only accept XML format as mentioned by you??. If this is true i think you have answered all my questions and i would completely understand XI's role.

I have been part of SUS implementation but always wondered if XI could be eliminated !!

PLease let me know and full points would be awarded.

THanks

Sundeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as I know,

Yes

BR

Dinesh