Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI version from command line

ugur_inal2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to get the SAP GUI version from windows command line or programmatically by a script. I searched through sdn forums but i could not found any answer.

Actually we want to make something like this;

We want to upgrade older versions of sap gui to version 7.20 patch level 10. We have prepared a sap gui installation server but most of our users have gui version 7.10. Since 7.10 version doesn't support automatic workstation update from the installation server, first we have to update these users' gui manually and then they will have further updates from the intallation server automatically.

All users in our company network are in microsoft active directory. We don't want to manage upgrage process by manually logging into user's computer and install sap gui. Instead of this we want to execute a script when the user logs onto his computer and this script will check the sap gui version. If sap gui version is older than 7.20 then the script will start a sap gui installation from a shared place on network and install the latest version silently.

I have searched forums, saplogon.exe, sapgui.exe command line options and even through the windows registry but i found nothing.

I'll be glad if you can help me.

Edited by: ugur inal on Mar 9, 2012 4:18 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ugur_inal2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

By the way i found an sap note.(Thanks to alper ozdemir)

"SAP Note 526199 - Determining installed front-end version with command line". This is what i was looking for. There is a vb script that can be executed from a batch file or from a cmd line.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Not sure where you are getting that information from.

The 7.20 GUi can update the 7.10 GUI PC's

You need to configure the updater with the on-begin-install scripts.

(refer to the SAPGUI help documentation in 50105790_4\NW_7.0_Presentation\PRES1\DOCU

SAP_Front_End_Installation_Guide.pdf

and

50105790_4\NW_7.0_Presentation\PRES1\GUI\WINDOWS\WIN32\Setup

Workstation Installation Help.chm and

Installation Server Help.chm

Regards,

Jude

ugur_inal2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Jude,

Thanks for your reply. I know that 7.20 can update 7.10 version. But as i said in my previous reply, 7.10 version does not support automatic workstation update, so it does not have any running "NwAutoWorkstationUpdateService.exe" service. So 7.10 client cannot be aware of any installation servers nor the server cannot determine this client. Therefore client cannot update itself from server automatically. Since there will be "NwAutoWorkstationUpdateService.exe" service with 7.20 version, this client then can have further updates from the server automatically.

So, first we should do a "remote desktop" connection to this client pc and install 7.20 version manually or we can start the 7.20 installation like this command;

\\client_ip\SAP_Gui_Share\Setup\NwSapSetup.exe /Silent /Package="7.20_installation_package_name"

We can run this command from the installation server admin screen. We have a global active directory admin account available for all client computers, we can use this account for the command to be run on client pc. But both methods are manual, so they are time consuming.

Since we have many sap clients and we don't want to do these updates manually. This is where the logon script becomes handy and timesaving. The script will check the version and if needed will install the 7.20 version from network share.