cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3load EXPORT tips for 1,5 TB MAXDB Database are welcome!

alfred_forreth2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello to ALL;

this post is addressed to ALL MAXDB-GURU's !!

I'v few questions to MAXDB Performance-Guy's for R3load Export on MAXDB!

(remark to my person:

I'm certified OS/DB migration consultant and have already done over 500 OS/DB migrations since 1995 successfully)

BUT now I'm face with following setup for Export:

HP- IA64 BL870c, 4 CPUu2019s Dual-Core + Hyperthreading activ (mean's 16 "CPU'S" shown via top or glance)

64 GB RAM, HPUX V11.31;

MAXDB 7.7.07

ECC 5.0; Basis/Aba 640.22

SAP-Kernel 640-Unicode Patch 381

8 sapdatas are configured on unique 200GB LUN's and VG's in HP-UX; on storage-side the 8 220GB LUN's are located on (only) 9 300GB-Disks with Raid-5 Level and within HP-UX each VG/LVOL is mirrored via LVM to a second desasterdatacenter (200m distance)

LOGFILES:

2 x 4 GB LUN Raid-1 on Storage and via LVM also mirrored to failover-center

MAXDB-Datasize: 1600 GB Overall and within this 1350 GB used, TEMPUsage about 25 GB !

MAXDB-Parameter-Settings

MAXCPUu2019s 10 (4 x IA64 QuadCore+Hyperthreading shows 16 Cores within top and galcne

)

Cache_SIZE= I/O Buffer Cache = 16 GB (2.000.000 Pages)

Data-Cache-HitRatio: 99.61%

Undo-Cache = 99,98%

the following sapnote for MAXDB Peformance and Migrations are well known and already processes

928037, 1077887, 1385089, 1327874, 954268, 1464560, 869267,

My major problem is the export-runtime with over 4 days on the first dry-run (6 R3load's running on Linux-APPL-Server), and 46h on second runtime, 6 R3loads running on DB-Server IA64)

the third trail-run was aborted by me after 48hours and 50% export-dump-space was written. In all 3 dry-runs, no more than approx 3.5GB DUMP-Space were written per hour!

My first question to all MAXDB-Guru'S: How can I influence/optimize the TEMP - Area in MAXDB?? I didn't find any hint's in SDN or SAPNOTES or MaxDB Wiki or google....As fare as I know, this TEMP area "resides" within MAXDB-datafiles, thus it's seperated on my 48 datafiles, spreaded over 8 LUN/VG/disks. But I see LESS throughput on disk's and MAXDB-Kernel uses only ONE of ten's cpu-cores (approx 80% - 120% of 1000%).

The throughput or cpu-usage doesn't change when I use 2 or 4 or 10 or 16 R3load' processes in parallel. The "result" is always the same: approx. 3,5 GB Export-Dump and 1 CPU MAX-DB Kernelprocess is used !

so the BIG Question for me: WHERE is the bottleneck ?? (RAID-5 Disk-LUNS mirrored with LVM ???)

on HP-UX scsi_queue_depth_length I'v increased default value from 8 to 32 to 64 to 128 --> no impact

2nd question:

I'v read OS-Note 1327874 - FAQ: SAP MaxDB Read Ahead/Prefetch, and we are running MAXDB 7.7.07.19! (MaxDB 7.8 is not suppored via PAM for IA64 640-UC-Kernel) and as far as I understood, this parameter will no HELP me on EXPORT with primary-key-sequence ! is this correct? THUS: which parameter HELPS for speeding up Export-Runtime?

MAXCPU is set to 10, but ONLY 1 of them is used??

so this post is for ALL MAXDB GURU'S!

who will be intrested to contriubte on this "high-sophisticated" migration-project with 1.5TB MAXDB-Database-size and ONLY 24h Downtime !!

all tips and hints are welcome and I will give us coninued updates to this running project until WE did a successfull migration job.

PS: Import is not yet started, but should be done within vSphere 5 and SLES 11 SP1 on MAXDB 7.8 ....and of yours in parallel to export with migration monitor, BUT again a challenge: 200km distance from source to traget system !!!

NICE PROJECT;

best regards Alfred

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alfred,

nice project ... just some simple questions:

Did you open a message at SAP? Maybe you could buy some upgrade support, this could be usefull to get direct access to the SAP support...

Which byte order do you use? I know Itanium could use both. But it should be different, otherwise you would use a backup for the migration.

And the worst question, I do not even want to ask: What about your MAXCPUS parameter? Is it set to more than 1? This could be the problem why only one CPU is used.

Best regards

Christian

alfred_forreth2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Christian;

YES, I opened a SAP-Call, but no sufficient response. (e.g please add logfiles from export-run, and is dbslib up-to-date)...

Byte order is different from HP-IA to Linux, thus I have to use R3load from SAP.

MAXCPU's is set to 10 ! (from 16 shown) and during normal workingprocess up to 500 and 750 % are use every day.

But NOT during the export-run with load generated bei several R3load-Jobs.....

any other hints are welcome.

currently we rebuild Raid5-Disks to Raid1.

bg Alfred