Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I need your opinion and view.

I have 3 (three lanscape), DEV, QA, and PROD machine. SAP version is R/3 4.7. I want to upgrade Oracle database from 9i to 10g and later to 11g.

I want to upgrade DEV and QA first to 10g and also upgrade SAP kernel to 640_EX2 on this week, while PROD machine still running on Oracle 9i and old SAP Kernel (non EX2 yet).

Is it OK to do that since I need to take some preparation to take PROD to downtime ?

Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ardhian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ardhian,

I want to upgrade DEV and QA first to 10g and also upgrade SAP kernel to 640_EX2 on this week, while PROD machine still running on Oracle 9i and old SAP Kernel (non EX2 yet).

Approach is good . Go ahead without any worry. Ideally all of us follow similar approach as while you update production there shall always be a time lag.

Since all the sap objects are database independent you need not worry about transport during the upgrade stages.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Hi about SAP Kernel on DEV and QA ? Do I need to stay with current kernel (same kernel version with PROD machine) ?

Is there any transport issue if different SAP kernel among lanscape ?

Thank you.

Ardhian

0 Kudos

Hi Ardhian,

Transports across different Oracle DB versions is possible. Read SAP note 592393, point 17 for more details.

Cheers,

Ivy

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ardhian,

Regarding Kernel within SAP landscape you need to keep always( latest - 1) kernel level.

Also since you will be upgradin to newer database version, you may need to download kernel matching to it requirements along with relevant database libraries.

Having different kernels on DEV/QAS and PRD during this upgrade stage shall not create any transport problems.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ivy,

I mention about SAP Kernel, not Oracle DB version. Since my next step is moving to Oracle 11g then I need to get to SAP Kernel 640_EX2. But right now my current SAP kernel (on DEV, QA, and PROD) is not EX2 yet.

Is that OK if DEV and QA is on SAP Kernel 640_EX2 while PROD machine is still on old SAP Kernel ?

Thank you

Ardhian

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ardhian,

Is that OK if DEV and QA is on SAP Kernel 640_EX2 while PROD machine is still on old SAP Kernel ?

Answer is YES,

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok Deepak.

Thank you for your opinion.

I'll try this first and will update this thread as soon as possible

ardhian

Answers (0)