cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Listing&Exclusion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

I know about Material listing & Exclusion purpose,function and configuration in SAP.

But i want to know the business requirement for Listing & Exclusion.Why we need to list the materials for few customers only,why not others? also same for exclusion.

Thank you,

Regards,

Ravikumar.R

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ravi_kumar100
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<removed_by_moderator>

Do not copy & paste

Read the "Rules of Engagement"

Edited by: Juan Reyes on Mar 7, 2012 9:52 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi, Thanks for reply.

Galaxy Musical Instruments has a requirement to restrict the sale of a few musical instruments to customers who buy directly from its website

Why they restricted ??? what happens if they does not restrict?

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Let me give you another example.

Say leading Biscuit Manifacturing company has launched a Tie-up with Large Retailer & offer a free Glass with three packs of "Natural" Brand of Biscuits.

Now this offer is exclusive for Customer who buy from that particular large Retailer & not for others Retailers.

In this case you will have to use Listing & Exclusion (Listing to faciltate that large Retailer & Exclude other Retailers from buying this product).

If Exclusion is not in place than all the Retailers wouldbe able to procure this special pack, which is not what the original was supposed to be.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jignesh,

I do not have working knowledge on Listing/Exclusion, but have only conceptual knowledge. Please help me to clarify some doubts.

In this case you will have to use Listing & Exclusion (Listing to faciltate that large Retailer & Exclude other Retailers from buying this product).

Your statement sounds like, the listing is done for the large retailer. By maintaining the listing for this large retailer...will the system automatically consider the other retailers as excluded without maintaining exclusion records for these other retailers?

Also, I am under the impression that, when some products are listed for a customer, by default the remaining products will be considered as excluded without maintaining the exclusion records....am I correct?

Thanks,

Ravi

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

Question:

Your statement sounds like, the listing is done for the large retailer. By maintaining the listing for this large retailer...will the system automatically consider the other retailers as excluded without maintaining exclusion records for these other retailers?

Answer:

No. You will have to maintain Exclusion Condition Records for Other Retailers separately.

Question:

Also, I am under the impression that, when some products are listed for a customer, by default the remaining products will be considered as excluded without maintaining the exclusion records....am I correct?

Answer:

Yes. As soon you create Listing Condition Record for a Customer, he can only buy material in that list.

Hope this clarifies,

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jignesh,

Thanks for replying...

Based on your reply....in the example you have quoted...to give a special offer to only this big retailer...

1. A Listing record needs to be created for him and all other products are also to be listed along with this specific product

2. Also need to create exclusion records for all other retailers to exclude this specific product.

Why not the material determination be used in that scenario instead of Listing/Exclusion? What is the advantage of using Listing/Exclusion over material determination?

Thanks,

Ravi

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

NIce Question Ravi for the exapmle shared by Jignesh.

Even nice example by Lakshmipathi Sir, where you can have listing with Product Proposal in Sales Order

Regards

JP

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi

Material determination is entirely a different concept.

If any existing material has become obsolete and you want to substitute this with a new material code, you can go with material determination, whereas listing exclusion, as already explained, you can enter multiple material code in a sale order in one stroke which will not be replaced with a different material code.

For more information, go through this link

[Material Determination|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_afs64/helpdata/en/83/87c3c1d62111d2acae0000e829fbfe/content.htm]

G. Lakshmipathi

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmipathi,

whereas listing exclusion, as already explained, you can enter multiple material code in a sale order in one stroke which will not be replaced with a different material code.

I believe, it is the concept of product proposal you are referring to and not Listing/Exclusion.

As per my knowledge, when a material is entered in the sales order, as part of the initial checks system checks for the existance of Material Determination records for this material entered (for which system doesn't check for exiatance of a MMR also) and then for the Listing/Exclusion records.

Regarding material determination...when I have a regular product and (for example) if I launch a special offer specific to a particular region (for promoting it in that area) I create material determination records based on the customer region. The material determination happens only if the customer belongs to that specific region orders for that material. Similarly we can do it for customers based on some criteria like customer group etc., Apart from this example, there are several other scenarios that require material determination.

Thanks,

Ravi

Shiva_Ram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

You can refer OSS Note 863767 - FAQ: Listing/Exclusion - point 7 gives some clarity on this. Per this note, to me it looks using listing/exclusion one can control, which product a customer can buy and which they can't. For example, customer 1 can buy only products P,Q,R and can't buy X,Y,Z. Customer 2 can buy, only products X, Y,Z and not P,Q, R. So if both listing/exclusion records are created for both the customers, then the above conditions can be met. One real scenario can be, some chemicals can be sold to customers from certain countries ONLY, and customers from other countries can't buy those chemicals.

The standard system behavior can be twisted per business requirements using the alternative method mentioned in OSS Note 865302 - Listing/Exclusion: Defining own requirement

Regards,

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shivaram,

Thanks for the explanation. Though I have theoritical knowledge on listing and exclusion...I got confused looking at the example provided by Jignesh and posted the questions to confirm whether they have considred those two points or not. I was thinking that how listing/exclusion is a better option in that example rather than using material determination. I am waiting for the reply from Jignesh as to know why they have opted for Listing/Exclusion.

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shiva,

For example, customer 1 can buy only products P,Q,R and can't buy X,Y,Z. Customer 2 can buy, only products X, Y,Z and not P,Q, R. So if both listing/exclusion  records are created for both the customers, then the above conditions can be met. 

As per my understanding of your above text, only configuring the listing functionality part (i.e. Customer 1, Listing - materials are P,Q,R) is sufficient. Configuring exclusion - material X,Y, Z is redundant (i.e. Customer 1, exlusion - material X,Y,Z); in other words not needed.

Same for customer 2.

Side comment: Interesting thread

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi,

1. A Listing record needs to be created for him and all other products are also to be listed along with this specific product

Listing functionality is not needed for this business requirement.

Why not the material determination be used in that scenario instead of Listing/Exclusion? What is the advantage of using Listing/Exclusion over material determination?

How would material determination fit this scenario?

If M1 is the material. & for 3EA of M1, 1EA of free bottle is given.

In your example, a new MMR is being created with 3EA of M1 and 1EA of bottle.

Why don't you go for Free goods?

Creation of new MMR would not be required. Any special reason why new MMR is created?

Thank you!

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi  TW,

Here ,I wanted to discuss one scenario about  relevant Exclusion and Listing .What is that,

In Plastic Industry ,there are so many products manufacturing based on their business requirement and provide to customers in India.In this Company ,

1. Glasses ( In this ,divide 2 types again ,what is that small Glasses for Tea and Big Glasses for Water )

2. Plastic Plates (here also same thing happening as Small Plates for sweets purpose and dinner plates )

3. Boxes ( also have different variations ).

So ,This company provided their goods to over all India only .Therefore ,that Company divide the Customers based on product selling as who can purchase frequently their product with what combination.So by " Listing "and " Exclusion " Process ,you can maintaining the sales order with fastness as based on customers wise what they want exactly and what they don't want.In this way ,you can avoid mismatching product when you processing sales order with right customers what they want exactly .

Side Comment 1 : If these Products 1 ,2 and 3 are activated in Listing means automatically deactivated position in Exclusion means don't want required these products to that customers 1,2 and 3.If you want proof ,just create one scenario in your system as customer 1 with material mat 1 as listing position and raise a sales order with customer 1 and maintain mat 2 .Now what shall you get is , this mat 2 has been excluded error.Actually mat 1 was in Listing Position not mat 2 therefore this mat 2 has been excluded automatically (don't want to maintain mat 2 in exclusion ).Here logic is only customer 1 is met with mat 1 not mat 2 .That's why mat 2 automatically has been excluded.

Side Comment 2: If you have any thoughts or Ideas on this Please let me know.

Side Comment 3 : Whatever you said above comment is exactly right as you can go for Free Goods scenario on what Jignesh sir suggested Scenario instead of this one .

Side Comment 4 : I thought ,you would be / might be says as why don't you want go for Variant Configuration Scenario .Here some logic is , In Variant Con ,only One product can act as Main Product another act as sub products but in this scenario all are main products.

Side Comment : I thought ,you would be / might be says as why dont you want go for BOM Scenario on this requirement . but in BOM , is not concern customer with product wise way.

Request : If I did any mistake please correct me .

Thanks,

Naren

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Narendra,

If I understand correctly, one of the main messages of your post is:

Typewriter wrote:

only configuring the listing functionality part (i.e. Customer 1, Listing - materials are P,Q,R) is sufficient. Configuring exclusion - material X,Y, Z is redundant (i.e. Customer 1, exlusion - material X,Y,Z); in other words not needed.

Thus we are discussing the same concept by siting different examples.

If you have any points, questions; that I have  missed; please inform me.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I will give one small example which I come across in my earlier projects.

A customer used to place bulk orders on the supplier (client) and for few materials, they also supply component which should be assembled in the final product. So obviously, this product should not be billed for other customers.

So you can make use of this functionality.

In fact, listing would be used mostly where the customers place orders regularly for certain materials and it is not necessary each and every time, the users to key in the material code. They just have to select the Listing option.

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lakshmipathi, Thank you good example.

@Jignesh- Superb example Thank you verymuch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

As the business wants to list (include) some materials for particular customers and it wants to exclude

some materials. So that we can include whatever the materials that are eligible to be purchased by the customer in

material listing, and we can include what are the materials that are not to be purchased by customer in exclusion. So

that system reacts accordingly.

Regards,

Vikas