cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make a filed Non-Editable for specific Users

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

Any Idea How can I make fields of any Table non-editable for a specific Group of Users.

My Requirement

-

I have 4 fields namely, Customer Name, Address, Pincode,City which at time of creation is open to user but once updated and customer is created, I need to make it non-editable for a specific Group of user.

Please advice.

Regards

Prashant

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

Are you using MDM WF?

If you using WF then once the user updates this and saves,the record then moves to next approver and is not available for modification by same user.So this gets taken care of.

Else you can also control this from the frontend,which could make these fields as read only for users once populated.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Are you using MDM WF?

If you using WF then once the user updates this and saves,the record then moves to next approver and is not available for modification by same user.So this gets taken care of.

can you please confirm the above statement?

Because when the user who created/updated the Record sends it for Approval he still has the option to modify the record along with Approver.

Correct me if i am wrong

Rgds,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

I was taking a example of a scenario with different levels or approvers.

If we have say Power user (say) who adds and approves and once that is done the WF is available to next approver.

This way Power user does not have access once he updates/approves.

I agree with what you are saying here if say Power user himself triggers the WF he has the access to the record.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Can you please Detail the WF steps?

Thanks in Advance

Rgds,

Prasad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad

If you are using portal for create/maintain then this can be achieved at UI level restriction for hte specific role/user and field combination.

Thanks-Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

Once the user accepts the workflow he can anytime modify the record until the record in checked in.

But Exactly what is your requirment I can see two option here:

Option 1: Users once completed his job should not modify the record timmthe WF is complete.

Option 2: Once record is approved and gone through all processes of WF and saved in MDM.Specific users should not modify the record.

As per me option 2 is difficult.

Revert back so we can better help you .

@ Ravi I guess you are talikng about option 1 .

Regards,

Neethu Joy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Neethu,

I just wanted to confirm one of the sentence in the above post.

I feel that the option 2 can also be achieved (Once record is approved and gone through all processes of WF and saved in MDM.Specific users should not modify the record.)

For this we need to create validation where we need to mention the User

Just create a Status field and write an expression as

IF(STATUS FIELD [RECORD]=STATUS[DONE] AND UPDATED BY="USER NAME",FALSE,TRUE)

for this the automatic execution type property should be set to error.

Only difficulty is that we need to mention all the users for whome we want to remove the write access once the record is saved.

Rgds,

Prasad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Everyone for your feedbacks.

Its nice to learn lot of useful infomation by reading all the given conversations.

Further, I want to use option 2 as stated above, but is it possible to provide Roles instead of users.

As number of users are more than 100 in numbers.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roy,

You cannot mention Roles insted of User in an expression since we can only use a field which exists in the record.

In my above post i have written expression on User because we have a User Stamp field which gets updated in the Table, since we do not have a field which updates the role of the User it is not possible to mention Role instead of User

Rgds,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

What I understand you want specific group of users to create customer and once they create it should be non editable for them.

or You want to swicth authorization to specific users once customer is created.

Regards,

Neethu Joy