cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What sets MEDIANNI in QAMR?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to use a calculated MIC to pull in the median from the MEDIANWERT field in QAMR. The calc is working fine, the problem is the value pulled in is 0. It appears the field MEDIANNI determines whether the median is calculated. Since it is not marked active the median is not being calculated and is therefore 0. MAXWERTNI and MINWERTNI are marked active and therefore populating field MAXWERT and MINWERT fine for the MIC on the sample. The question is what activates this field so that median gets calculated? Thanks for the help!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member235613
Participant
0 Kudos

This is an old thread, but I thought I would follow up that a solution was finally provided through SAP Customer Connection. It  is in SAP note 2237411.

If you aren't participating in Customer Connection, I would highly recommend it. It is a great way for our user community to get together and voice improvements to SAP. It is how I was able to suggest directly to SAP that they finally implement calculating the median.

Martin_H
Contributor
0 Kudos

This is really great News! And hey, it only took four years of development 😉

Best regards

MH

0 Kudos

Hi Jimmy,

Could you let me know the OSS note number which you created for this?

Regards,

Mohan

former_member235613
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm not sure. I submitted the ticket 4 years ago and it doesn't look like tickets from the old SAP Support system moved over to SAP ONE.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

And i'm back! Looks like at some point during the switch to beta and syncing this account with my SAP User ID it changed my user name too. So after going round and round with the OSS Service, I have received this:

"

Dear customer,

we analyzed the issue in detail.

Unfortunatelly the Median is not calculated in the SAP-standard

==> see e.g. the documentation of the corresponding data-element

QMEDIANWRT :

=======================================================

Use

Calculation of the median is still not available.

=======================================================

I see therefore as the only possibility to use a corresponding BAdI

(e.g. QE_SAVE).

I also do not see, that any of the control-chart-types, which are

delivered by SAP, works with the Median according to the database-field.

Sorry for not being able to give you a better answer.

Please pay also attention to note 11 for possibilities to get a

solution."

Needless to say i'm not very happy with this answer, especially considering they took so long to provide the answer that we are now one week away from needing this for a go-live.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Welcome back!!!

Well the good news I guess is that at least it's not a really hard thing to calculate!

FF

Martin_H
Contributor
0 Kudos

That is kind of disappointing...it should be a standard feature.

The only thing now to do would be putting this on the idea place, as I can read from your reply that SAP does not seem to be willing to introduce this feature without some "pressure".

MH

Former Member
0 Kudos

my thoughts exactly Martin. Where is the idea palce?

Martin_H
Contributor
0 Kudos

Just at the top of this page you can find the link to it (below code exchange).

If your company is member in one of the SAP user groups (DSAG, ASUG...) there might be a closed space as well for ideas (I know that there is one for the DSAG QM group). Ideas from there might be processed with higher priority, if enough other companies are willing to support them.

Regards
MH

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to be clear, MEDIANNI does not cause the median to be calculated.

In QM, most of the fields that contain a numeric value have a matchng "ni" or initial field indicator. Since a null value and a "0" value both display in the system and are exported as 0.0000000000000, the indicator is used to allow programmers and people looking at exported data to determine the difference between nulls and 0.

So the MEDIANNI indicator is set when the field MEDIANWERT has an actual value placed into it. If a zero is placed into it, this would set the indicator.

The problem is getting the median to calculate. Are you recording multiple values as individual results against the MIC? My guess is your are not, therefore you have no median to be calculated.

If you use physical samples or inspection points the individual values would be in QASR. Then the average value of those is the actual value in QAMR and since there is only one value, no median is calculated in QAMR.

If you can give us some idea of the type of samples you are doing and the inspection type being used, we can maybe shed more light on this.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response FireFighter. Good to know a vaild result sets the indicator and not the other way around as I originally posted.

We are recording by inspection points. The MIC we are looking to get the median calculated for is set to use a sampling procedure, single result recording (not summary), and fixed scope. The sampling procedure is set for fixed sample, sample size of 5, inspection frequency of 1, valuation by mean within tolerance range, and free inspection points. As you can see from this, we are recording multiple values against one MIC within one inspection point.

I checked QASR also and it the same scenario as QAMR: Min, Max, mean, variance, etc are being calculated, but not median. That is the confusing part to me: why do those other statistics calculate, but not median? Thanks again for the help!

edit: forgot to add this is for a 04 inspection type. Let me know if you need any more details.

Edited by: prjct92eh2 on Mar 6, 2012 1:53 PM

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok. another question. You said you wanted this value to be used in a calculated characteristic. Did you define a new formula parameter for Median using field MEDIAN? If not what formula parameter are you using. SAP does not provide a formula parameter for MEDIAN. How did you define it?

I'm not sure under what conditions MEDIAN is actually calculated. It is not an average but the middle value of the number of values reported. I believe it will only be calculated for SPC characteristics. So I would suggest you experiment by setting a MIC up as an SPC characteristic using the same scenario and see if the Median is calculated in QASR aor QAMR table.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did indeed create a new formula parameter, two actually, one for QASR and one for QAMR. Both are working fine, pulling in 0 since that is what is in the MEDIANWERT field since median is not getting calculated. That is how i got to this problem. I arrived at the same conclusion as you and am currently using trial and error with SPC setup. No luck so far though...

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See this link, it might help.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_me60/helpdata/en/8b/45acbcb74b41e1a0639f2364326ab1/content.htm

I haven't found any documentation however on which charts calculate the median. You'll probably have to try them one by one or read the documentation on each function module.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok, that link gives me some hope. Where in SAP might that doc be referencing? Somewhere in the QM IMG? I see its talking about tabs on a screen somewhere...

Martin_H
Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not sure as the help link seems to be for "SAP ME60" (Manufacturing Execution), and I think this is not in the standard SAP.

In the ERP you should find some SPC information at QM->QP->Basic data->Sample,SPC->Statistical Process Control

Regards

Martin

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Martin,

I know you have done extensive experimenting wih the SPC charts. Do you know which one(s) would trigger the calculation of the Median? I don't see anything in the documentation or FM help that indicates that. Yet in several help documents it seems it is related to the control chart type.

FF

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This help link has most of the info on SPC. The very last node (Statistical Details) explains most of the charts and the actual formulas used. No where can I find mention of Median though.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/4e/a8b43446a1c564e10000009b38f83b/frameset.htm

The median is mention in the second node "Control Charts'. You have to scroll down to see where it is mentioned as an SPC statistical value.

You may want to submit an OSS note and ask SAP when and where is this value calculated as it is mentioned in their help files but there appears no way to get it.

FF

Martin_H
Contributor
0 Kudos

I did a quick usage check of this field via SE 11.

QASR-MEDIANWERT is only used in a view(ENT5715)

QAMR-MEDIANWERT is used at more places, interesting is the usage in one program: Include LQEEMF9L

Line 424/425:

move : ps_qamr-medianwert to l_char.
move : l_char          to ps_qamr-medianwert.

So with a little debugging it might be possible to find out how this include is used and when it is triggered.

Regards

Martin

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good thought to check that usage in SE11.

Looks like PRJ and his developers have some work ahead of them!!

FF

Martin_H
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, especially if you look a bit deeper in this....it really seems as this field is nowhere really used within the coding. The place I mentioned is for the creation of a digital signature form, so it does not really "work" with this field. I could find some other classes where the field is initialized, but nowhere really where it is filled/calculated. I wonder if one needs to implement this via BADI/User exit?

If you check e.g. for the MITTELWERT, you will find a lot more satisfying places where this is used...

In the end I would think PRJ needs to check this with SAP via an OSS message, and I would pretty much be interested in the answer!

Regards

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you FF and Martin for all of your help. Good to see i'm not the only one stumped by this I will track down my company's login for the SAP Support Portal and submit an OSS note. I will let you know the results. Thanks!