cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

@Prompt function at Universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts...

I need to know how exactly @prompt function works for the filter purpose at universe level. I need different scenarios wherein @prompt fuction is used.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member1310099
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

In BO there is a function called as @PROMPT to create Dynamic Filter.

Type the below parameters for @Prompt(1,2,3,4,5)

1 = 'Prompt Text Message'

2 = 'Prompt Type' (i.e. A,N,D,U)

where A= Character, N= Number, D= Date, U= Unit.

3 = 'Class Name/ Object Name'

4 = 'Multi/ Mono'

Multi means Multiple ( Example = 2004,2005,2011)

Mono means Single ( Example = 2012)

5 = Free/Constrain (Type value or select value in LOV/ Select Value)

Example for creating a @prompt filter is below

@Prompt('enter year','A','time period/year', Multi', Free)

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sravan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you Sravan. You explained in a very simple terms to use the prompts in BO. It really helped me.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i am using free hand sql in bo, is there a way to create a prompt that will list the values so that the user is able to select the values. Am able to do it if i added the values manually but is there a way it can query a table and get a list of all the distinct values? like for example i have a timekeeper table and want to show the list of unique timekeeper titles in the prompt. just want to make it easy for the user to select a timekeeper title value instead of typing it. But i also don't want to dislplay manually all the title in the prompt like the example below.  Want to avoid having to keep that list updated whenever a title is taken off or added. any help will be appreciated.

(@Prompt ('1.Title:','C',{'PARTNER','PARA','ASSOCIATE','ATTY','DIR OF DEV/ZONE','DIR OF PLANNING','GIS ANAL/PLAN','OF-COUNSEL'},Multi,))

Former Member
0 Kudos

@prompt function is used to prompt user for a value will be used during report run. For example if you want to run a monthly report against a specific month, you have to prompt the user to enter the Month or even select it from the list of value displayed.

Syntax:

@prompt ('prompt text ', 'type ', 'list of values', 'mono/multi', 'free/constrained')

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Please help me with the @prompt function.

Scenario 1: When I insert values in 3 column of prompt it works fine.

Screen shot attached as Error1.jpg

Scenario 2: When I insert table name (marked as yellow), although parse is Ok it throws error while creating a Web I report.

Screen shot attached as Error2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

The Prompt is throwing an error as the value for which defines ur list of value need to be a object from ur universe as u defined it from Database side it is giving an error.

Create an Object for 'Region.region_id' or if exists use the object here, this will fix the problem.

"LOV : value cannot be taken from Database directly"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kranthi,

Thank you for your responce.

I already have an object region_id in my universe and i am creating prompt for the same object.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Bhavesh,

Syntax :

@Prompt('Region Id','A','Region\Region Id',mono,constrained)

considering 'Region.region_id ' as Object name as 'Region Id' and Class as 'Region'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kranthi,

I used your syntax and created a universe parse was ok.

But when i create a WebI report using Region Id  my WebI get hangs

It is not the case with my syntax with values.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh

In your scenarios u are using the LIKE operator. "The LIKE operator is used in a WHERE clause to search for a specified pattern in a column".  In error1.jpg you included a search pattern like results having the column values 20 or 21 or 22. In error2.jpg you simply included the column name and not giving the search pattern.

edit the where clause as:

Regin.region_id LIKE @Prompt('Reg id','A',{'2%'},Mono,Constrained)

this will include the results those having the column value starting with 2.

for more information about LIKE clause simply browse w3schools.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

@Prompts are useful when you want to force a restriction in the inferred SQL

but do not want to preset the value of the condition. But the syntax will allows you to preset the the values .

Following is the syntax for the function.

@Prompt('message','type',[lov],Mono|Multi,free|constrained|primary_key,persistent|not_persistent,[default_values])

The following are simple examples of @Prompt syntax.

Minimal use of the @Prompt function:

@Prompt('Displayed text ','A',,,)

Using the @Prompt with a LOV without default values:

@Prompt('Displayed text ','A',{'Paris','London','Madrid'},,)

Using the @Prompt with a LOV and one default value:

@Prompt('Displayed text ','A',{'Paris','London','Madrid'},,,,{'Paris'})

Just go through the universe designer pdf from page#523 in the following link

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31SP3/en/xi31_sp3_designer_en.pdf

Thanks,

Pramod.