cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record checkout problem in workflow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a workflow where requestor creates record and once created pass the record to approver and once approver approves record is sent to Gatekeeper.Now I am checking out the record in the first step.

But now problem is when record is in available or received state with approver Requestor can modify and save the record. Same is case with approver i.e. when record is sent to Gatekeeper by approver ,approver camn modify record.

As mentioned in guide as record moves from one step to another users who receive the job automatically join record checkout.

But I want to avoid this i.e. once requestor sends the record to approver he should not modify it.

It will be great if you can share any workaround to achieve the same.

Regards,

Neethu Joy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

I dont think your requirement can be achieved through normal process, because as said the record is checked out exclusively in the start step of the workflow and the users in the following steps auto join the exclusively checked out record, and requestor can still modify the record.

Rgds,

Prasad

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Check if the user in the console has the authority to modify the checked out records.

If you remove the rights.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

From where do you check out the record? I mean are you using MDM Apis or visio for workflow.

Please try Checking out the record as exclusive.

Regards,

Namrta Mahajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

@Namrata

Record is checked out through visio there is no potion to select the type of checkout as it automaticaly checkout exclusively.

@prasad I know its standard way how MDM reacts but i want a workaround if something can be done to avoid it.

Regards,

Neethu Joy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

You can create a role & in its function tab there would be a parameter 'modify join permissions for non owned record', you can set its permission from execute to None.

Assign this role the approvers in your workflow and test if this works for you.

Thanks & Regrads,

Nmarta Mahajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

Pls detail the workflow steps/stencils in this?

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

We have 3 workflow one has steps like

For requestor

start(Checkout(yes)-> process -> validate->assignemt->stop(cascade)

For approver

start->process->stop(cascade)

For gatekeeper

same as approver.

Regards,

Neethu Joy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Neethu,

Try the below.

For requestor

start(Checkout(yes)-> process -> validate->assignemt->stop(cascade)

In the Above workflow in the STOP STEP - check in the record, and in the Launch property Launch the Approver workflow.

and in the Following workflow "Approver workflow" check out the record in Start step and check in back in stop step

Rgds,

Prasad

Edited by: Prasad Tuttagunta on Mar 6, 2012 9:21 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

What you suggested is good but drawback of the solution iswhen requestor suppose creates and updates the record ,Workflow for Requestor will start and will checkout the record and as requestor completes its assigned step and perform next step i.e send the record to approver, the record will be checked in and now if local approver wants to rollback the entire record it will not be possible.

Regards,

Neethu Joy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nisha,

Simple solution to this would be to use a validation after approver 1(say).

If Approver 1 is using a flag update the he is updating the record.

You can check if Updated by is Approver 1 after record moves to next step else you can rolllback or take some action.

This validation should also be places after approver 2 which checks if last update was done by Approver 1 or someone else.

However this also as a small chance of failure as requestor can update twice before approver 1 takes any action.

If that goes well with the business logic,then this validation should serve your purpose.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your help.

I have figured out a way where i am using a new value in record status field i.e stand by and when record is pending with approver 1 and 2 it will not be visible to requestor.

Regards,

Neethu Joy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

Can you detail the steps?

Thanks

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neethu,

Yes thats even better,named search or lookup constraint can control after the status change.

Good job

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Got It

Rgds,

Prasad