Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to adjust SM21 logs retention Period

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My requirement it to get the system logs for minimum for 5 months,

i have set the parameter "rslg/max_diskspace/central"

but still i am getting the logs for 13 days only.

So please let me know the exact clean up job name for SM21 log,

so that i can adjust the retention period.

and also do i need to adjust the parameter "rslg/max_diskspace/local" too to get the required SM21 logs?

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

naveen_kumar1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi,

For the list of standard jobs please refer this sap note

16083 Standard jobs, reorganization jobs

1411877 New standard jobs

For the system log details please refer this points

1. The local system log file

a) File names

The local system log file that is written to each application server is determined by the profile parameter rslg/local/file.

The name of the file is usually SLOG<inr>, where <inr> is the instance number. Therefore, the name is SLOG77, for example.

In most systems, the profile parameter rslg/local/old_file is also set and points to a file SLOGO<inr>. This 'old' local system log file is not created by default. Instead, the current local system log file is written 'in a circle'.

b) File size

'Writing in a circle' means the following: If the file has reached the maximum size (profile parameter rslg/max_diskspace/local), the system overwrites the oldest entry with the latest entry and so on. The local system log file always has the same file size as of this moment. The profile parameter rslg/max_diskspace/local describes the maximum file size in bytes. If you switch from non-Unicode to Unicode, you must double the value of this profile parameter.

The central system log file

a) File names

The profile parameter rslg/central/file describes the name of the current central system log file, and the profile parameter

rslg/central/old_file describes the name of the 'old' central system log file.

b) Size of files

The profile parameter rslg/max_diskspace/central specifies a size in bytes. If the current system log file has reached half of this size, it is copied to rslg/central/old_file, and a new current central system log file is started.

Additionally refer this note

862 Reduce size of system log file

Regards,

Naveen.

Edited by: Naveen Kumar on Mar 5, 2012 2:18 PM