cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle VM and RAC

former_member189774
Participant
0 Kudos

I have to recommend a customer whether to use Oracle VM or not. I know OVM is not supported for the application server, but is it possible for our customer to install SAP on one server, and have the Oracle database running on OVM ?

Is it also possible to have two nodes running Oracle RAC, with several instances, one for SAP and the other to support another applications?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member189774
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you both. Oracle VM is not our customers only option, but they've recently purchased the licenses, son they wanted to know whether they could use it.

I still need some clarification on my RAC question, regarding the use of a RAC environment to support both SAP instance, and other instances.

Regards,

Mauricio

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mauricio,

technically yes. Your question is answered here (please read the whole thread to get the complete answer) : http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:529123700346381713

However it depends on the way you have purchased your oracle license (by SAP or Oracle) and what you are allowed to do with it.

Regards

Stefan

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Zeledon,

is Oracle VM the only option for your customer? In my opinion SAP and Oracle VM is a political thing only.

However - if you want to implement a virtual environment with Oracle - i would go for VMware and linux as guest operating system.

Why? You can work around the support "limitation" of Oracle in a non Oracle VM environment pretty easily with a linux operating system and a dual boot solution.

We have done this the same way. We use the com.oonics tools to boot the linux in a virtual or physical (in case of any error) environment without any effort/changes.

For more information: http://www.comoonics.org/

Regards

Stefan

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

AFAIK, OVM is not supported at all in SAP.

If you look at note 105047 Support for Oracle functions in the SAP environment indicates clearly so (last point)