cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport across releases

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I need to know if it is possible to do transport connection (and transports) between SAP bi/bw release 7.01 and SAP bi/bw release 7.30.

I have read the

Note 1090842 - Composite note: Transport across several releases, but there is no mention to the 7.3 release.

Looking also in the notes mentioned in the Note 1090842 could not reveal an answer.

Thank you in advance

Sebastian Vlachopoulos.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

manuel_suarez
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Sebastian,

In your first post you mention that the target release is 7.30, but in one of the latest ones you say that the target release is 7.03. So, what is the real target release?.

In any case, all the issues mentioned in [SAP Note 1090842|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1090842|Link to SAP Note 1090842] applies to transports between 7.01 and 7.03 or 7.30 versions:

- Transporting customizing objets between different releases is not supported. You can do it at your own risk; any failures during the transport or problems with the transported objects after the import won't be supported by SAP. In fact, you should avoid transporting customizing objets between different releases, as it might cause data inconsistencies in the target system. Anyhow, if you decide to transport customizing objects between releases and the import finishes successfully, your application people shoud check how the data is in the target system after the import (just to ensure the consistency of that data).

- For the transport of development objects, you can find two classes of incidences: technical transport problems (that is, the transport cannot be done properly because it fails) and logical transport problems (the transport works, but the transported objects are inconsistent in the target system).

Regarding the logical transport problems, if you transport SAP objects from a 7.01 system into a higher release, the new version of those objects will be overwritten with the 7.01 version, so you might delete new functionalities delivered in the 7.03 (or 7.30) version.

If the transport contains customer objects, you might also take into account that if those objects are interrelated with SAP objects, it might not work as expected in the new 7.03 (or 7.30) system. (For example let's say that you are using a Z* program in your 7.01 system that uses an SAP function module. You transports that Z* program to the new 7.03 (or 7.30) system and it does not work, because the SAP function module used by that program no longer exists on the 7.03 (or 7.30) system, or it works in a different way as it worked on the 7.01 system).

For transports between 7.01 and 7.03 releases, you can check [SAP Note 1273566|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1273566|Link to SAP Note 1273566].

And if the target release is 7.30, as mentioned at the end of [SAP Note 1090842|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1090842|Link to SAP Note 1090842]:

"If you want to perform a transport across several releases (for

example, a transport from 4.0 and 7.0), you must refer to the

information in all the relevant notes."

Therefore, for a transport between 7.01 and 7.30, the information of [SAP Note 1089083|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1089083|Link to SAP Note 1089083] is the one that applies.

Best regards,

Manuel Suarez.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your response.

Sorry I've misspelled the release number in my last replay, 7.3 is the target release.

The Note 1089083 - Transports between Basis Releases 7.0* and 7.1, as it states is for 7.0 and 7.1*.

Sebastian.

manuel_suarez
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Sebastian,

Yes, the [SAP Note 1089083|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1089083|Link to SAP Note 1089083] is valid for your case.

I know it is a little bit confusing, but the key is given at the end of [SAP Note 1090842|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1090842]:

If you want to perform a transport across several releases (for example, a transport from 4.0 and 7.0), you must refer to the information in all the relevant notes.

Imagine that you want to perform a transport between 4.6C and 7.0. In this case the relevant notes would be:

SAP Note 330267 Transports between Basis Releases 4.6* and 6.*

SAP Note 454321 Transports between Basis Release 6.* and 7.0

In your case, the transport is between 7.01 and 7.30, so all the intermediate notes applies:

SAP Note 1089083 Transports between Basis Releases 7.0* and 7.1*

The question is, why there isn't any note talking about Transports between Basis Release 7.1* and 7.2* or 7.3* ?

There isn't any SAP Note like that because [SAP Note 1089083|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1089083|Link to SAP Note 1089083] already covers those versions. At the beginning of the note we can see that it says:

Symptom

You plan to perform transports between systems with SAP Basis Releases 7.0* and 7.1* and higher, and require information about potential problems.

So the note is valid for transport from 7.0* to 7.1* and higher, so it includes 7.3* as target release.

Hoping this will help,

Manuel Suarez.

Former Member
0 Kudos

From

Note 1089083 - Transports between Basis Releases 7.0* and 7.1*

this document extract

"

2. Transports from SAP_BASIS Release 7.0. to 7.1.

a) Technical transport problems

None yet known.

b) Logical transport problems (SAP internal only, only possible in 702 systems)

Secondary keys for table types do not arrive.

This problem can only occur in 702 systems.

Solution: Export table types with an R3trans version dated November 5, 2008, or later.

Unclear RFC status of function modules.

This problem can only occur in 702 systems.

You must use an R3trans from November 12, 2008, or later to transport function modules in the target system, so that values in the specified field can be retained if necessary.

c) Other logical transport problems

None yet known.

"

could be taken as an answer my question , but I hesitate to take as granded that 7.3 is covered by this statement in the beggining of the note document

"

You plan to perform transports between systems with SAP Basis Releases 7.0* and 7.1* and higher, and require information

about potential problems.

"

So thank you again for your responce , I will keep for now open the question.

Thank you all.

Sebastian.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

We have tried it in between 701 and 702 where it did work, so I suggest you run a test transport import first.

And get help from the ABAP team to check the result.

When you add the request in the target systems Queue the request will have the "Status : Request does not match component version".

You can do the import by selecting the option to ignore the version mis match.

Regards,

Rohan.

Edited by: Rohan Tambat on Mar 2, 2012 1:17 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your response, but I need more detailed information regarding the 7.01 -> 7.3 transports. I donu2019t have the 7.03 system to do the test, and I need to provide some feedback, before the 7.03 gets installed.

Thank you.

Sebastian.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

You can import the transports across releases if you are sure of the what objects you are moving

Onlty thing You need to do is select the Option "Ignore Invalid Component Versions" when importing the transport.

Regards,

Srini Chapa.