cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forecast Doubling at Month End

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anybody run across the anomoly where when a month ends and a new month begins in the same week and the forecast numbers double?

Thanks

Paul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

If you are releasing in /sapapo/mc90, technical buckets will be taken into account.. but if you are using background job technical buckets will not be taken into account. This is explained in a note, i guess it is 403050, please verify. You need to use a BAdI for technical buckets to be taken into account while background release.

Thanks and Regards,

Nithin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nithin,

Thanks for the information. I will review the note you listed and we do run the MC90 as a background job, now it seems like this issue didn't arise until after I made changes to the time stream, storage buckets profile and time series object for the planning area, could this also be because I de initialized the planning area then re initialized it?

Thanks

Paul

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Deinitializing would mean that you deleted all the time series data, which would include data like forecast. (I assume your statement was for DP planning area, but would even be applicable for SNP planning area).

Subsequently when you initialized the planning area (time series) you would have copied all the data to the planning area from some backup or might be from DP to SNP.

Only deinitializing/re-initializing won't cause you any issue, but some other action might have.

What exactly is your issue (and where? in SNP, I assume?)? And what actions did yo perform prior to noticing the issue?

PS: While releasing the forecast, there is a button called "add data". this could also be a culprit, but before commenting, I need to understand what actions you had taken.

Thanks - Pawan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pawan,

Here is what the issue is, for April the 30th in on a Monday and May 1st is on a Tuesday this year, all in week 18, now what is happening in our system is it looks like the forecast for April 30th and May 1st are being combined in the same week making it look like the system is doubling the quantity.

The person that had originally setup the system isn't here anymore and they had run something in the past to correct what I would call spliltting, now the sapapo/sdp_split transaction we don't have access to so that was never run. Just trying to figure what setting might be causing this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Are you not using period split profile in //mc90? If yes then you don't know what it is actually doing, is it?

Have you went and checked in /sapapo/rrp3 whether forecast is released at daily or weekly level or monthly level? It will be better if you will explain with values which is in your planning book and what is getting released in //rrp3. It is hard to tell you the root cause with limited information.

Thanks and Regards,

Nithin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nithin,

Here is an example of what is being seen in our DP planning book, now the forecast is released on a weekly basis.

Weeks

03/05 03/12 03/19 03/26 04/02 04/09 04/16 04/23 04/30 05/07 05/14

106062 106005 105997 106018 115790 115808 115725 115625 229828 114402 114421

As you see in week 18 where April 30th is a Monday and Tuesday starts May 1st looks like the system isn't putting April 30th qty to week 17. so the forecast bacially doubles.

Now we don't use any period split profile in the MC90 batch job that runs weekly, now sure why as I was not here with the system was originally setup. Have also manually run the jobs that are created to calculate the final S&OP demand. Trying to figure out why this is doing this right now.

The storage buckets profile for DP is setup and monthly and weekly. The storage buckets profile for SNP is setup as Daily and weekly.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks

Paul

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

What you are mentioning is the expected standard behaviour.

If you are in the monthly view, forecast for the day 30th April would be visible in April, but if you look in weekly view, forecast for week 18 = forecast for 30th April + forecast for the days of 1st to 4th May.

But it's tough to understand why you are having a very high value for just one day i.e. for 30th April (As per your thought process)

Do you have a "daily" view in SNP where you can see what forecast values exist on daily basis? If you can share the data on day level, it would help in understanding the data situation.

Apart from above query, please also share what exactly is your business requirement during the release process in such scenarios where working week is shared between 2 months?

Thanks - Pawan

Edited by: Pawan Pathak on Mar 5, 2012 9:22 AM

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

The below data for each weeks is from SNP or DP?

Maybe you should let us know the DP data which you want to release to SNP, and the result in get in SNP.

Then we can compare them.

Best Regards,

Ada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ada,

The data that was provided was from SNP, here is the data that is displayed in DP

Wk14 Wk15 Wk16 Wk17 Wk18 Wk19 Wk20 Wk 21

65452 65447 65451 65450 59041 57442 57435 57438

For the same product in SNP here is the data

54998 54960 54976 54980 109971 54958 54978 54979

I would expect to see the same numbers or close to the same numbers in SNP and not see the duplicate number, for week 18 would only expect to see around 54k.

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why did not you get the same result for DP and SNP on every weeks?

Do you have any idea?

Please let me know your storage bucket profile used in DP planning area. Is it a weekly/montly bucket profile, or daily/weekly/monthly profile, or something eles?

And also, in /sapapo/mc90, do you set the below feilds?

- Planning Buckets Profile

- Daily Buckets Profile

- Period Split Profile

Regards/Ada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ada,

The storage buckets profile in DP is Monthly / Weekly. The storage buckets profile in SNP is Weekly / Daily.

We do not set any of the profiles in the MC90, we have a weekly job that runs every Friday to copy any forecast changes from DP to SNP.

Also from what I have been told when APO was implemented the forecast never did match between DP and SNP. I was not apart of the original implementation, still very green on APO, been trained on SNP and no DP training.

Thanks

Paul

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

Generally the released forecast should match between DP and SNP.

When they don't match, there're various reasons, which I could not make a guess here ...

I hope that you don't have any customizing code to change the released data, for example in BADI /SAPAPO/SDP_RELDATA.

Please first check whether you have active implementation of this BADI in SE18/SE19.

The best way to trace this kind of problem is to debug the code.

The call stack should be like:

FORM TRANSFER_FORECAST_TO_ORDERS /SAPAPO/SAPLMSDP_RELEASE

FORM TRANSFER_FORECAST_ORDER /SAPAPO/SAPLMSDP_RELEASE

FUNCTION /SAPAPO/MSDP_REL_CUST_SET /SAPAPO/SAPLMSDP_RELEASE

FORM RELEASE_TO_FCST /SAPAPO/SAPLMSDP_RELEASE

FORM REL_DATA_SET /SAPAPO/SAPLMSDP_RELEASE

FUNCTION /SAPAPO/MSDP_REL_RELEASE /SAPAPO/SAPLMSDP_RELEASE

I don't know whether this could help you ... Sorry.

Hope others could have better suggestions.

Best Regards/Ada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ada,

This all helps, we don't have that Badi activated in our system, we have a developer currenlty looking at the code to see how the forecast gets passed from DP to SNP.

Will keep looking, are there any other date settings that might affect this?

Thanks

Paul

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Your forecast data is looking almost double the value of what is supposed to be (from DP to SNP).

Looking at your comments, I understand that there is no extra data maintenance on 30th April. So my previous comments would not be relevant.

Doubling of the data during SNP release can't be explained as far as I know.

1) Could you check the macros in your SNP planning area? I would not expect something to be done on forecast which could double the data, but still try to have a look at any macros that are touching forecast KF.

2) Is it possible for you to do a test (might be in your QA system) whether this is happening currently or not?

Unless you have checked this part already, there is a little chance that someone has re-released the forecast for this particular week with "add data" option, so the forecast is doubled now. Also, in this case, in the next weekly run of your release job, you should no longer have the issue with week 18.

Apart from this, only possibility would be to have an enhancement which changes the release behaviour. In this case, you should most likely have an issue in all the weeks which are shared between 2 months. e.g. Week 22 should also likely have some issue.

Let's see what are the results of your checks.

Thanks - Pawan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Pawan,

In our test system we also have the issue, so I've been looking at the Macros for calculating the Final S&OP Demand, How the Planning Correction gets populated, and been running these jobs but nothing has changed so far.

Our release batch job doesn't have the Add Data field checked, and every week that crosses a month we have the issue. Will keep looking at the Macros and see what I can find out.

Thanks

Paul

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

You could try out the following in your quality system to try to find out exactly where you have the issue (if not done already):

1) Delete the forecast for one product (or few products) using /sapapo/md74 for all time periods for which you release the forecast from DP to SNP

2) Modify the variant of the job that you use to release the forecast to include only the product (or products) for which you deleted the forecast above (leave all other selection criteria as they are)

3) Run ONLY the forecast release job. It would now release teh forecast only for your selected products.

Now check the forecast data for the above selected products in SNP planning view:

a) If data has not doubled yet in SNP, that would mean that some SNP macro which runs later in a job must be causing the doubling. Focus on the SNP jobs that run after the release, and try to identify the macro.

b) If the data is having this doubling issue already, then try to come out of the SNP planning book. You would see either of the following behaviour:

b1) If system asks you for a save that means that some default macro has run when you entered the planning view, and it's trying to save the data when you exit the view. You can then focus on the default & entry kind of macros available in your planning view.

OR

b2) If system didn't ask you to save, that means data had already changed during release. Then you could focus on enhancements used in release or possible SAP bugs.

Hope this shoudl help.

Thanks - Pawan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pawan,

Executed the steps you suggested, the forecast is still doubling when the release comes into SNP, when I back out of the planning book it doesn't ask me to save.

I have actually opened up a ticket with SAP to let them take a look, didn't find any oss notes.

Thanks for the help

Paul

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Paul, Hope you can find out the reason in the OSS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ada,

Me too, I'm getting beat up every other day with questions on when it will be solved. one question how does the statistical forecast get populated? I don't see an Macro for calculating it, and have noticed that the statistical forecast is also doubling in the weeks that cross months, that might be the root cause.

Thanks

Paul

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Maybe we can get more information in the OSS message ...

But I'm a little bit confused now. Do you think the issue is from forecast calculation of forecast release?

That is to say, is your forecast in DP not correct? Or forecast in DP is correct, but after release to SNP, the forecast orders in SNP get incorrect?

Best Regards,

Ada

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I am confused as well. You earlier shared weekly data from DP and SNP, and in DP data was almost constant across weeks. Now you are saying that the Stat forecast data is also doubled. Initially you also made a comment that said that may be the forecast for 30th was getting added to week 18 again.

At exactly what stage in DP are you seeing the beginning of doubling of data?

Without having access to your system, the comments are being very confusing.

Thanks - Pawan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ada,

I keep looking at all the Macros and all the forecast lines in the planning book and have been noticing that the statistical forecast line looks off. I've looked at so many things right now and still can't seem to find the root cause. But I still think it's in the DP to SNP release.

Sorry for the confustion. I'm sure SAP will let me know what the issue is.

Thanks

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pawan,

Sorry for the confusion, but as I keep looking into why the numbers are doubling and disecting the planning books, starting to notice in the DP planning book the statistical forecast list is doubling. I'm now trying to figure out how that line in the planning book gets populated.

Way to many macros and jobs in our system.

Thanks

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ada,

Thanks for all the help, what we found was that the Macro to calculate the Final S&OP demand wasn't working for some reason, when we would run it manually in the data view it would sync up the numbers, so what we did was added the macro as a default to make sure it works correctly, we are now going back and reviewing all the jobs to make sure they are correct.

Thanks

Paul

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Paul,

Thanks for your update. Good to know that you find out the reason, and I hope everything is going fine in your system.
If you encounter any new issue, please feel free to discuss it here

See you~

Best Regards,
Ada

Answers (0)