cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deletion of Alerts in SAP APO

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are in the process of deciding the batch schedule of our Alert jobs and were wondering if we need to schedule the report /SAPAPO/AMON_REORG too to delete Alerts. We had confusion regarding the following:

1. The Alert macro already has a step to delete the old Alert by using Delete in context before creating a new one using Update in Context then why do we need the Alert Reorg report /SAPAPO/AMON_REORG.

2. There is another report /SAPAPO/AMODAL_DELETE which can be used for deletion of Alerts. Are there any benefits of using this report over the Reorg report /SAPAPO/AMON_REORG.

An early response is appreciated.

Thanks

Priyanka

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Priyanka,

They are the different alternatives available to delete DB alerts (stored in /SAPAPO/AM_ALERT table).

1. Delete in context - This action (part of alert definition) ensures that any existing DB alert within the selected planning horizon will be deleted before creating a new alert. Please note that planning horizon can be defined in background run (/SAPAPO/SNP01). This horizon needs be shorter than the period bucket profile defined for the data view. This alternative does not help in deleting the old alerts whose validity falls in past.

2. Report /SAPAPO/AMON_REORG - A light weight process to delete the DB alerts. This will help to control the deletion old alerts by means of specifying an absolute date or number of days in past.

3. Report /SAPAPO/AMODAL_DELETE - This report is not only capable of deleting DB alerts similar to option 2 but also generates the statistics and hence, useful for online alerts analysis (overview at application level).

Please let me know your comments.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh

Thanks for your response.

I still have one doubt. When I ran my alert macro in the Planning Book interactively I could see old alerts too getting deleted. So that means the "Delete in context" step in the Alert macro is able to delete the alerts in the past as well. Hence I still don't have a valid reason to schedule the /SAPAPO/AMON_REORG job.

Request you to please throw some more light.

Thanks

Priyanka

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Priyanka,

Sorry for the late response. In fact, I got lost with the new design of this forum and was able to pick up this thread just today.

It's good to know that you validated my response and found 'Delete in context' was able to delete the alerts in past. I am not sure about your planning horizon for alerts (alert profile time periods and period bucket profiles).

However, let me give a scenario wherein business wanted to track the forecast bias and accuracy for 4 weeks in past. The time periods of the overall alert profile defined to have 4 weeks in past and 4 weeks into future. For reporting purpose, it is required to keep the old alerts in the system i.e. macro execution was not supposed to delete the alerts. In these situations, we have to use /SAPAPO/AMON_REORG job.

Even SAP's APO best practice for DP and SNP (version date 2008) recommends use of this report to delete the old alerts in controlled way.

Thanks,
Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Rajesh

Answers (0)