cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0 has been thrown. Reason for failing: er

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are usng .net code (SDK) to access Crystal Reports running on Crystal Enterprise XI R2.

We also use a custom dll ( .net 2.0) ,whcih we placed under d:\program files\bo...\3.5\bin\ folder and did,

1) gac

2) regasm. But when we run the report, the error comes. When I comment the report formula, which refere to the method in dll, everything works fine. The report was created first with vb6 and then with .net (2.0). Error appear in both versions.

Unfortunately we have to get this working in Production and is in the process of migrating to next version of BO. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Note : The dll (both vb6 and .net ) and report works fine in Crystal QA Server ( windows 2003), but not in production server ( both qa/prod uses 32 bit config)

Thanks,

George

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek ,

thanks for the response.

Regarding the steps,

1) Install Cr Designer on server - seem to be hard as they (prod) dont let us do for whatever reasons.

2) UFL using VS 2005/2008 - The same document was followed and the steps seem to be followed correctly and the the .net ver and vb6 ver working fine in QA Server.

3 & 4 ) Process Monitor and Dependency Walker - we are going to check as any dlls are missing or not in PROD Server.

Note: We get the same error ( as in .net) when we run the report using the VB6 ver of CRUFL on PROD server. Also when the report is run using the web interface the 'PREVIEW' button brings up the report, only the first page comes up, the rest of the pages (total 23 pages), don't coming along, the browser seem to be stopped.

Also when i run the report using the designer on my local pc, no error (probably the dlls, .net/vb6 are present at c:\windows\assembly and c:\windows\system32 folders respectively).

Thanks,

George

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello George

I want to limit this thread to one issue. So let's stay with the UFL. Once that is resolved, and if the number of pages issue still exists, you'll have to make a new thread.

from the last paragraph of your last post:

Also when i run the report using the designer on my local pc, no error (probably the dlls, .net/vb6 
are present at c:\windows\assembly and c:\windows\system32 folders respectively). 

We then know that the UFL works in at least one environment. Since you can not install CR on the server, what about installing the app on the above computer where the report work in the designer? E.g.; does this UFL work on any computer in any application - be it VB6 or .NET?

I am also a bit confused on this:

Note: We get the same error ( as in .net) when we run the report using the VB6 ver of CRUFL on
 PROD server. Also when the report is run using the web interface the 'PREVIEW' button brings up 
the report, only the first page comes up, the rest of the pages (total 23 pages), don't coming along, 
the browser seem to be stopped.

I was under the impression that the report throws an error due to the UFL(?). How is it possible for this report to then show anything? E.g.; when do you actually get the error?

Also, note that irrespective of IT policies, it may eventually be neccessary to install CR designer on that server. Sometimes policies that throw sticks and stones under our feet hinder a more efficient path to a resolution... (e.g.; it may be good to give IT a heads up )

- Ludek

Edited by: Ludek Uher on Mar 1, 2012 7:22 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

sorry for any confusion.

- First, there is no error when we don't use CRUFL in both Crystal QA and Crystal PROD regions.

- Second in Crystal QA , everything works fine ( both vb6 crufl and .net cruful )

- Third in Crystal Production, if we comment out the cruful reference( there is a formula inside the report, which refer the crufl method), there is no error. The report works OK. But we need this via crufl as there are lots of other reports which use the CRUFL.

- Fourth in my Local PC ( the dev environment xp/crystal ver 11.5 is designer installed/Visual Studio 2008) and the crufl dlls are gac'd in this pc and it runs fine.

So the issue is running the report hosted in PROD region with crufl.

Crystal QA means - Windows 2003 Server on which Crystal Enterprise is installed

Crystal PROD means- Windows 2003 Server on which Crystal Enterprise is installed

The CRUFL dlls ( both vb6 and .net ) is located at \bin folder in these servers.

The .net application, is running as a batch program in another windows 2003 server and try to run the reports using the BO SDK code. So the .net EXE is located in this server.

So it looks like there is something different between Crystal QA and PROD regions.

Let me know this clarifies the questions.

Thanks,

George

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Many thanks for the explanation

Perhaps we want to use a bit simpler utility that Process Monitor, though Depends will still be good to see if it reports any missing dependencies. The utility I'd like to try before Process Monitor is [Modules|https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip]. Follow these steps (use a report that does not use the UFL 1st):

1) Download Modules and extract it on the computer where this works

2) Run your app, get a report processed - leave the app running

3) Start Modules

4) Go to the File menu and select New List -> Memory Modules

5) Save the log file

6) Copy the Modules exe to the server where you're getting the errors

7) Run the same report as above (see (2) above)

😎 Start Modules

9) Go to the File menu and select New List -> Memory Modules

10) Save the log file

In Modules go to the Modules menu and select Differences. See if Modules reports any differences re. CR runtime, framework, system files and DB runtime.

Repeat the above with a report that uses the UFL

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

thanks for the response again.

Regarding the modules exe, I am bit confused.

The Crystal PROD Report and Crystal QA Report are tested from the same server (Call it Application Server). There is no designer installed on that. If required , we can try install it.

Scenario A: Windows 2003 Server ( Application Server) ---> Access Report from Crystal QA Server using .net code ( No error received at log created by .net program)

Scenario B: Windows 2003 Server (Same Application Server as Scenario A) ---> Access Report from Crystal PROD Server using .net code ( Error in this case, at log created by .net program)

Since we use the same application server to test both the scenarios using Modules.exe, are you recommending install Crystal Designer 11.5 and get differences ? Or install Crystal Designer on Crystal QA Server and Crystal Prod Server and get difference( Hope this is not what is asked for)

Another thing is , even if no designer is installed at present on Application Server, there is Crystal Run TIme installed. Can we specifically look for any dll/process in the run-time to get the differences when running against good and bad cases ?

Thanks,

George

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry George, but now I am confused...

Is this a web app? Or?

Here is what I understand.

App is installed on a WIN 2003 server.

We're testing with two reports; Crystal PROD Report and Crystal QA Report

Copies of these reports reside on two different computers; Crystal QA Server and Crystal PROD Server

Running these reports from Crystal QA Server works. E.g.; code would be something like:

ReportDocument.Load("
Crystal QA Server \path\Crystal PROD Report.rpt")

Running those same reports with the following path fails:

ReportDocument.Load("
Crystal PROD Server\path\Crystal PROD Report.rpt")

??

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

this is not a web report. These are plain .rpts migrated from old version of crystal to Crystal XI using Crystal Designer 11.5. After converting from old ver (crystal ver 8/8.5) to Crystal Ver 11.x, these were deployed to Crystal Enterprise Server (CR XI R2). And some of these .rpt files have formulas which used CRUFLs.

The .rpt files were deployed to both Crystal QA Server and Crystal Prod Server. And they are accessed via .net code something similar to below.

These reports are accessed by using SDK/.NET Code like :

SessionMgr sessionMgr;

EnterpriseSession enterpriseSession = null;

ReportAppFactory reportAppFactory = null;

InfoObject infoObject = null;

-

-

sessionMgr = new SessionMgr();

enterpriseSession = sessionMgr.Logon(RASUID, RASPwd, RASServerName, RASAuthType);

EnterpriseService enterpriseService = enterpriseSession.GetService("InfoStore");

InfoStore infoStore = new InfoStore(enterpriseService);

string queryString = "SELECT SI_ID, SI_NAME, SI_PARENTID FROM CI_INFOOBJECTS WHERE SI_PROGID='CrystalEnterprise.Report' and SI_NAME = '" + rpt_name + "' ";

InfoObjects infoObjects = infoStore.Query(queryString);

-

-

EnterpriseService tempService = enterpriseSession.GetService("RASReportFactory");

object psrfObject = enterpriseService.Interface;

reportAppFactory = (ReportAppFactory)tempService.Interface;

reportClientDocument = reportAppFactory.OpenDocument(infoObject.ID, 0);

-

-

rasReportExportFormat = CrReportExportFormatEnum.crReportExportFormatPDF;

rasPrintOutputController = reportClientDocument.PrintOutputController;

tempByteArray.Save(pdf_report, true);

Note : If required I can provide exact code we use.

Thanks,

George

I want to paste the below section also to the above message :

The error comes at the line :

ByteArray tempByteArray = rasPrintOutputController.Export(rasReportExportFormat, 0);

and the Exception is :

{"IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0 has been thrown. Reason for failing: error number WSAECONNREFUSED."}

[System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException]: {"IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0 has been thrown. Reason for failing: error number WSAECONNREFUSED."}

Data: {System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal}

HelpLink: null

InnerException: null

Message: "IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0 has been thrown. Reason for failing: error number WSAECONNREFUSED."

Source: "RptControllers.dll"

StackTrace: " at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.Controllers.PrintOutputControllerClass.Export(CrReportExportFormatEnum exportFormat, Int32 Reserved)\r\n at Prudential.Linx.Gvul.Common.Commands.BaseCrystalCommand.RunCrytal() in C:
Linx-G
Linx.Core
CommonCSharp
Commands
BaseCrystalCommand.cs:line 332"

TargetSite: {CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.CommonObjectModel.ByteArray Export(CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportDefModel.CrReportExportFormatEnum, Int32)}

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok. Part of the confusion resolved. You are using the BOE SDK, which is different from the CR SDK for .NET. The query should have gone to the .NET - SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise, SAP BusinessObjects Edge, SAP Crystal Reports Server forum.

In any case, I'll move the thread there and get someone to help us out a bit.

Umm, yeah, you're right I should have paid more attention to your 1st post:

Crystal Reports running on Crystal Enterprise XI R2.

but many say so and often they actually don't. Anyhow, my fault.

- Ludek

Edited by: Ludek Uher on Mar 1, 2012 2:04 PM

Adam_Stone
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You mentioned earlier that when you run in the web interface, you are not getting the full report back. Which web interface are you referring to, CMC or Infoview? Which viewer are you using (its controlled via preferences)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adam,

thanks for the response.

We used Central Management Console (CMC)

and the report shows up, with all the pages listed in the left side of the viewer. But when click next, it just freezes. So not sure, this actually works or not ( To make sure the CRUFL works fine without any error).

Here are the settings under 'Preferences'

Crystal Report Viewer : Advanced DHTML ( Checked - USe ActiveX printing ..)

Web Intelligence Viewer : HTML

Desktop Intelligence Viewer: : HTML

Maximum number of objects per page: 100

Maximum number of characters for each page index: 6

Measuring units for report page layout: : Inches

Also Under 'Settings' :

Build Date: 2008/05/04 02:24:57

Build Number: 1263

Product Version: 11.5.10.1263

Data Source: BOE115:127.0.0.1:3306

Database Name: 4.1.23-pro-nt

Database User Name: sa

Auditing: Disabled

Let me know what else is required,

Thanks.

Adam_Stone
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you try changing the preference for Crystal Reports Viewer to just DHTML. This will use the page server internally instead of RAS. I want to see if this is a RAS specific issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Adam,

thanks for the respnse.

We changed to DHTML and no difference. Only the first page loads up and when clicked next, the page browser shows spin button ( buisy mode).

Thanks,

george

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please see the below notes as part of last reply from me :

Crystal QA Server - The CMC works fine ( NO error : IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0 has been thrown. Reason for failing: error number WSAECONNREFUSED). The pages navigates fine to all next pages in CMC.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Preferences ( Crystal Reports Viewer) : Advanced DHTML ( For Crystal QA Server).

Preferences ( Crystal Reports Viewer) : DHTML ( For Crystal PROD Server).

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Earlier I was looking these settings using an A/c from my development PC using an ID and it seems though it shows DHTML and Advanced DHTML for QA and PROD regions , it was vice versa. The administrator is seeing different settings in both QA And PROD under preferences ( ( this is kind of surprise to me as it seems to be profile related, not sure yet.)

Anyway next we are going to make the same change in Crystal PROD Server ( change to Advanced DHTML) and see that makes any difference.

Thanks,

George

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we did the following so far.

1) Compared the VB6 dll (CRUFL) on both Crystal QA and Crystal PROD Server using dependency walker and all dependent files seem to be identical. - Still get the same error IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0 has been thrown. Reason for failing: error number WSAECONNREFUSED'

2) Made the Crystal Viewer Settings to 'Advanced DHTML' in Prod server (CMC) also ( same as QA server) , stll the page doesnt move to next page in Crystal PRDO server, but Crystal QA Server it works.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Also,

I do see the following error in the event viewer,

Source : .Net RunTime 2.0

Descritption : Faulting application crystalras.exe version 11.5.10.1263, stamp 481d8bd1, etc'.

But this log is not written when I comment out the formula reference for CRUFL inside the report.

Also the log seem to be appearing even when the the formula is referencing VB6 or .Net CRUFL dlls.

Any help would greatly help as there are a bunch of reports we need to run in this CR XI R2 untill we migrate them to next version , which is already underway.

Thanks,

George

Adam_Stone
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There must be some difference between your QA and Prod systems, I'm just not sure what it might be.

The reason I had previously asked you to try the DHTML viewer is that it internally uses the Page server, whereas the Advanced DHTML uses RAS. What this is telling me is that this issue is not specific to RAS on your production machine, it is a system wide issue.

You may be able to get more information about what is happening by tracing the RAS server. To do this I would add -trace -crpetrace 7 to the command line for the RAS server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for the response. I am new to Crystal RAS Server etc.

I hope Command line means, there is a command line window for RAS Server. If so, how we should run it meaning, I should run the trace, at the same time, I start running the report ? As mentioned earlier the report is run via a batch program ( .net) hosted on another server. Please pass or point to any specific steps.

Thanks,

George

Adam_Stone
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You will have something called Central Configuration Manager. From there, you would stop the RAS server, go to its properties where you will see a section for command line, and add the trace switches there, and then start the RAS back up.

I would wait a minute or so just to make sure the RAS has fully started and then run your batch program. Once the batch ends, you would want to go and stop the RAS server and remove the trace switches. This will get you the smallest logs possible to parse to try and find any additional information about what is going on.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adam,

thanks for the response. Today we ran the trace as mentioned in the mail in our QA Server ( as there is no issue at QA, just wanted to see how the trace works in QA before we make the same steps in PROD tomorrow) and got the below files from \Logging\ directory. Also we did take a look at the files.

1) crystalras_20120308_130222_7304.log

2) crystalras_201238_13222_7304_ras.log

3) crystalras_201238_13222_7304_ras_crpe_bkgrnd.log

4) crystalras_201238_13222_7304_ras_crpe_Diagnostics.

5) crystalras_201238_13222_7304_ras_crpe_functions.lo

Tomorrow, we will be doing to same kind of tracing in PROD Region. What details i will be looking for , in case we need to pay specific attention.? Also any specific file among these to be payed more attention ?

Thanks,

George

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adam,

We did tracing of RAS on Prod server today morning, and compared the log files with QA server trace logs. No significant difference was found.

Also took a look at the event viewer in Prod Server. The below message keep coming in System log, if the CRUFL dll is referenced in the formula.

Source : Service Control Manager

Description : The Report Application Server service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

If no CRUFL Dll reference is made inside formula, no entry is written to the event viewer.

Please advice next steps,

Thanks,

George

Adam_Stone
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It sounds like whatever the UFL is doing is causing the RAS server to crash. Unfortunately, this doesn't look like an easy issue to troubleshoot over the forums, and XIR2 is past end of life for technical support. Not sure how much more I can add here, maybe someone else might jump in with ideas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adam,

thanks for the response.

The DLL works fine in the QA Server, the issue is with PROD server.

Is there any specific comparisons between these 2 environments we can look for RAS ?

Thanks,

George

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello George

The error unfortunately does not tell us much. I wonder if it would be possible to install the CR designer (just a temporary thing) on that server and try to run the report from the designer. See if we get a better error message. I do understand that you have gac-ed and regasm-ed the dll, but I'd still like you to have a look at the blog [Creating Crystal reports User Function Libraries (UFL) with Visual Studio .NET|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14434] [original link is broken]; see if it points to something missed on the server. Also, [Process Monitor|http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx] may be a good idea to see if it tells you anything about what is happening with the dll. And finally, the [Depends|http://www.dependencywalker.com/] utility should be used on the UFL to see if there are any missing dependencies reported.

Ludek

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/SAPCRNetSup

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the [SAP Idea Place|https://ideas.sap.com/community/products_and_solutions/crystalreports]