cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant do a file get from external server using file sender adapter with ftp

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Up until now our company has only used the file sender adapter with ftp protocol to get a file from our XI server for processing and input the file into an integration process

I have a requirement to do an ftp file get from an external server

From our XI development server I can ftp directly to the external server and view the required directory using the command window via a DOS prompt (FTP open ...). So all firewall issues and communications are fine

Unfortunately I cannot currently pull files from the external server using the XI file adapter with ftp protocol from the XI development server AWB017

FTP Connection Parameters: External server name using port 21, Data Connection is Passive, No security, I supply a userid and password

Processing Parameters: Processing Mode is Archive (I tried test but this did not work either)

No messages appear in the RWB

Is there something else that I need to set up in order for the external ftp get to work via the XI file adapter?

Regards,

Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. what do you find in your adapter ststus ?

2. What does your Message monitoring in RWB say ?

Do refer this blog for some pointers - /people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/08/01/along-came-a-file-adapter-mr-ftp-and-rest-of-the-gang

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mike ,

What you need to check here is does XI have the Delete Authorizations on the Folder.

When you say Archive, the File is deleted from the folder and then moved to the new folder.

Just try a 777 rights on the folder and check and if it works , then authorization is the issue.

If 777 is an issue, for the moment test it with TEST and see if File Adapter Picks the file.

let us know if this is the issue?

Regards,

Bhavesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your responses.

I have found the error messages in the File Adapter Monitor

Scenario 1

When I prefix the source directory with a forward slash, eg <b>/Folder/Subfolder</b> the error message is as follows

<b>EST: Error: Error connecting to ftp server 'ip address': FTPEx: /Folder/Subfolder: The system cannot find the path specified</b>

Scenario 2

When I DO NOT prefix the source directory with a forward slash, eg <b>Folder/Subfolder</b> a different error message is returned

<b>Error: Retrieving file 'FILENAME.XML' failed unexpectedly: FTPEx: Folder/Subfolder: The system cannot find the path specified</b>

At least in this scenario the adapter has been able to identify the file on the external FTP site but cannot retrieve it

Questions

I thought that the backslash prefix for the source directory was mandatory but I am receiving an error in each scenario

I receive the same error message whether the Processing Mode is 'Archive' or 'Test'

The logs on the external ftp server seem to indicate that I am simply connecting, sending username and password then quiting straight away. I am not issuing any commands that they can see

I thought that being a Sender adapter it would inherently execute a Pull or Get command

To recap, from our XI development server I can ftp directly to the external server and view the required directory using the command window via a DOS prompt (FTP open ...). So all firewall issues, communications, userid and password are fine

Has anyone experienced these issues?

Please advise on next course of action?

Regards,

Mike

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

EST: Error: Error connecting to ftp server 'ip address': FTPEx: /Folder/Subfolder: The system cannot find the path specified

>>>>

If you have refered to the earlier blog, your path sud be /Folder/Subfolder. But do reconfirm the path given in your adapter. Seems there is indeed a conflict.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is that external server running on any other operating system other than windows?

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shabarish,

As per my last reply, I have provided two error messages, one prefixing the source directory with the forward slash and one example without.

Please reread as you may have some other thoughts

Thanks,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sudheer,

The operating systems is Windows 2003

Thanks for your reply also

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike,

the FTP target folder which you are accessing is configured for FTP access???..with the folder configured. If its a Windows 2003 system, then you have to do this FTP folder configuration using Microsoft IIS.

This could have been done in your XI server also if its running in Windows and then it should be mapped with each other.

Pls do check the same.

Cheers

JK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sometimes, the windows domain should be prefixed to the user name, for Windows-based systems. This is different from the access with DOS. You can try changing the USERNAME to DOMAIN\USERNAME in the adapter.

Hope this helps,

Bhanu

Former Member
0 Kudos

JK,

FTP is configured, the environment is fully patched and using IIS. The firewall rules have been set so that both servers can see each other. The external server can see my traffic logging in to their server but no commands being issued. It is like the adapter has not issued the 'ftp get' command. Interestingly I can access the external server from my XI environment via Internet Explorer and successfully drag a file into Explorer.

Bhanu,

As above, there is no issue connecting to the server or folders. It just seems that no actual 'ftp get' is being issued. Processing mode is archive

Going forward it would be nice to resolve this 'ftp get' issue but as time is important, in this instance I am going to get the external party to write a script file to push the data to our XI server

Thanks again to everyone for your assistance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike,

In the IIS configuration you will be using a local user which is created in the system where you are writing the file. When you say its a problem with the 'ftp get' pls do make sure that the local user which you are using is part of the 'Administrator' group in that PC.

cheers

JK

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Kindly check out the path and the path mentioned in the right Slash (back ward or forward ) and for testing go for the processing option delete and check it out whether it works.

Thanks & Regards

Agasthuri Doss

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I can now perform a file get from external server using file sender adapter using the Target directory format /folder/subfolder/

Thanks again for your replies

Regards,

Mike