cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring the mail adapter Sender

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys, hope you are fine.

I have a doubt: is it possible to configure, how many emails the sender mail adapter takes per polling?

I have an inbox with more than 300 emails and I have a sender mail adapter configured with a 10 minutes pooling and I need to limit the number of messages or, just to have an ideia about the number of messages it takes. Does it depends of the machine or something like that?

Any kind of help is welcome... 😃

Thank you

Luciana Rossan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184681
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Luciana,

Please refer to the FetchLimit option, described in SAP Help for sender mail adapter, it matches your requirement perfectly:

IMail.FetchLimit

You can set this additional parameter to restrict the number of mails fetched by sender mail adapter in one polling interval.

Sometimes the mailbox configured for the sender mail adapter contains large number of unread mails, which exceeds the average expected number of mails in one polling interval. In such a case, processing of all the unread mails in the same polling interval by sender mail adapter degrades the system performance. To avoid this, set value of this parameter to the maximum number of mails to be fetched and processed in one polling interval. The remaining mails exceeding the limit would be processed in the next polling interval.

Please refer to the help itself if further details required:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi711/helpdata/EN/48/3276dba3af58d8e10000000a421937/content.htm

Hope this helps,

Greg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guys,

Thank you a lot.

I set the parameter IMail.FetchLimit to 6 and turn my interface on but it didn't work correctly.

It took all the messages that were in my inbox ...

=(

Did I forget something?

Thank you...

Luciana

former_member184681
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Luciana,

One additional question therefore: which transport protocol are you using? As this SAP Help I mentioned earlier doc says:

You can configure additional parameters when IMAP4 is selected as Transport Protocol. These parameters can be configured for the following purposes [...]

I guess there are two options why it did not work:

a) you are using POP3 transport protocol - then you will not be able to use this attribute, and most probably you would have to go for an adapter module, as suggested by Hareenkumar

b) you are using IMAP4 protocol - make sure you activated the object properly; clearing sxi_cache might also be required

Hope this helps,

Greg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you activate the communication channel after making the changes. Also, check the cache instance after activating, whether it has an instance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your tip about cache.

Yes, I'm using IMAP4 and I tryed to refresh cache in "Cache for Softwarecomponents" and "SLD Cache" and tryed again but it was not enough. It still picking all my messages.

Now, I have to ask the basis guy to clear/refresh the cache full (using the url: http://<hostname>:<port>/CPACache/refresh?mode=full ) because I don't have permission to do that.

I'm gonna back to tell you if it works... 😃

Thank you soo much!!

Luciana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friends,

The basis guy executed the full cache using the url and I tryed the test again without sucess.

I tryed putting a different name in the parameter, a wrong name (like this: IMail.FetchLimittt) and it picked all the emails up without errors.

Kind of strang... I think it should show me at least an error... isn't it?

Is there anything else I can set up ? =(

Ah, just remember that the PI Version is 7.0...

Do you think this parameter doesn't work for this version?

Thank you so much...

Luciana R.

Edited by: lrossan on Feb 29, 2012 2:43 PM

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Probably, that is the case.

The PI 7.0 help page doesn't mention that parameter:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp2/helpdata/en/23/c093409c663228e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

But, I still didn't understand what's the requirement to not process all at the same pool.

Best regards,

Henrique.

former_member184681
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Luciana,

I'm afraid what Caio Cagnani and Henrique Pinto are saying could be true. But there is one more thing that is worth trying

Just to make sure - did you keep the Module Key consistent in both: Processing Sequence and Module Configuration in the Module config of the Communication Channel? I mean, assuming that your processing sequence is defined as the default setting:

1 sap.com/com.sap.aii.adapter.mail.app/XIMailAdapterBean Local Enterprise Bean mail

(Number / Module Name / Type / Module Key)

your Module Configuration should be as follows:

mail FetchLimit 5

(Module Key / Parameter Name / Parameter Value)

See this screenshot for further clarification:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/mailadaptermodule.png/

Hope this helps,

Greg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your patiance... I tryed to use this parameter with the modulle but didn`t have success.

So ... I think I will have to give it up or ask to the custumer to make an upgrade ...lol

Thank you everybody.

Luciana R.

Edited by: lrossan on Mar 1, 2012 4:50 PM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Oi Luciana,

Check the following link:

"Configuring the Sender Mail Adapter"

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/23/c093409c663228e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Regards,

Caio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Luciana Rossan,

There is no standard parameter in the mail adapter to specify the number of mails to be picked.

For your requirement, I think we need to write a adapter module and specify the number of mails to be picked up.

Lets see what the other experts say...

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hareenkumar,

Thank you for your answer.

Humm... ok.

But, do you know how does the adapter behave? How many messages it picks by standard ?

Thank you anyway

Luciana R.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Luciana,

When the adapter polls, it checks for the number of mails and process all. It does not have any restriction.

As Greg said, the parameter provided would be a perfect solution for your requirement.