cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy without SID change

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am running ECC 6.0 on solaris and oracle 10g. If I want to perform a system copy to another server without any SID change, can I just restore the database backup on the target server? The target server already has a SAP instance with the same SID as the source system.

Usually when performing a system copy with SID change, I would run sapinst and select the system copy option after database restore, but for the above case, do I need to run sapinst?

Rdgs

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

cathal_ohare
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Unfortunately you would have to run sapinst. The instanceID's and encryption keys for the securestorage are initialy made with sapinst and are unique to the initial system, Doing a straight copy will make them invalid on the new system and give you start up bootstraping errors, These will be remade when you use sapinst.

Kind regards,

Cathal

former_member323185
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, are you able to point me to some SAP documentation to help me better understand your explanation?

My worry is that during a disaster where a production system needs to be recovered using a DR server, there is not enough time to go through the sapinst process and the subesquent long list of post-processing tasks as documented in SAP system copy guide.

Rdgs

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is this an ABAP or ABAP+JAVA system?.... if its an ABAP system you can use the an offline backup to do the restore... you'll need a new license tho. You can take a CLONE like scenario.

Regards

Juan

former_member323185
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Any need to run sapinst after the restore?

Rdgs

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not if your system is ABAP only.... but in anycase why don't you give it a try and find out??.... Thats what DR test sites are for.

By the way... why are you using a user to create the thread and another one to reply to it?

Regards

Juan

former_member323185
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks, I will surely give it a try.

The different account is due to the SAP passport auto logon thing.

Answers (0)