cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI Queries in WD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are currently implementing few reports and show cased in portal via BI queries through Visual composer. I know Visual composer is not really a very intutive tool for doing some kind of logic or processing the data received. As an alternative we are trying to find if there is a way to access the BI Queries through Webdynpro.

1) Can BI Queries be exposed as Web services which can then be consumed in Webdynpro?

2) Is there any standard BAPI that can act as a wrpaeer for BI Queries?

What are the other alternatives? We need to process the data from the Query output.

Thanks,

Nagarajan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gautam_singh
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nagarajan,

You can use the BI Java SDK to create analytical applications.

For more details about this, you can check the sap help & sdn docs.

http://help.sap.com/javadocs/NW04S/SPS08/bi/howtos/How_To_BI_Java_SDK_WebDynpro_App.pdf

And, for Accessing Query Data using Web Service, please check the below link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/44/b7fb72352056a2e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

Thanks

Gautam Singh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are various ways after all:

1) The already mentioned BI Java SDK. You can use it with a XMLA-Connector to your BW, e.g. MDX for querying.

2) You could also use the XMLA-Connector (e.g. webservice) without the BI Java SDK.

3) The webservice RRW3_GET_QUERY_VIEW_DATA was also already mentioned. It is actually based on some RFC you could also use directly (might be faster). It doesn't use MDX but internal syntax.

4) Some OLAP-BAPIs (MDDataProviderBW, MDDataSetBW) using also MDX for quering.

I would probably go for option 4, as it seems to be the way SAP uses on its own for BO - BW-connections. So i guess it is the best bet. It should also be faster then using a webservice.

If you are going for one of this options you should consider the following:

- MDX/parametrisation isn't difficult, but with all the special cases like hierarchies etc. you shouldn't underestimate the effort to use it

- If your users can view the results of multiple queries at the same time you should think about a solution for parallelisation of the requests.