cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TREX Full Search via CV04N Displays DIR Hits While EasyDMS Search Shows All

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I've searched for information on this and have not yet located an answer so I hope this has not already been addressed even though I think it is somewhat basic. We have recently installed EasyDMS and TREX to enhance our existing DMS capabilities. In our testing, we have found that EasyDMS's Full Text capability through TREX is reporting and displaying hits at the document file level whereas DMS CV04N Full Text capability is only showing hits at the document info record level. Is there something that we have missed for the DMS CV04N capability to not display in the same fashion as the EasyDMS search capability? For those users using CV04N, they will be disappointed to only find that the hit was at the DIR level and forcing them to find the document file that really contains the hit if multiple files exist in a DIR.

Thanks - RIchard.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

Please check whether you have done these configurations or not.

For text search you have activate TREX Server follow the steps

Set TREX

A:- Transaction: SRMO

Install TREX , and create RFC destination to connect to

TREX.

B:- Transaction: SKPR06

Check the flag to Document Area "DMS" to utilize this document area for

document search.

For Indexing

A: Transaction: SE38

Run the report program "RSTIRIDX_REINDEX" to create Index.

Also, run the report program "RSTIRIDX" to create Index.

Set mime type for the text search

A: SPRO --

Cross-Application Components > Document Management System > General

Data > Settings for Storage Systems > Create MIME types for full

text search,

Enter MIME type like

"application/msword",

"application/pdf".

Retrive document via Test Search

A: Then, test retrieval document search using

Transaction: SKPR07.

Enter Document Class "DMS_PCD1", Language "EN", Document Class "DMS",

and try "TEST search".

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your series of steps has already been performed and is the same stuff that has been preached all over the forum. If it was not performed, then EasyDMS would not be working.

I'm beginning to think that the DMS version (CV04N) is a limitation with the thought that one is not supposed to populate the DIR's with multiple documents. One person at SAP has indicated that is their best practice, but still, if you have a capable search engine such as TREX, to not have it file specific is design flaw in my opinion. If there are no other solutions, we will have to simply ban the use of CV04N and strictly use the EasyDMS capability instead.

I was curious if anyone in the forum community has experienced this limitation as well.

Thanks - Richard.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This functional limitation is something i have experienced in the past.This is attributed to the fact that the capabilities of easyDMS extend to display of the DIR's at file level as well(which is not possible in R/3 DMS) and hence the corresponding behavior of TREX search.

Hence,to ovecome this,the thumbrule that we adopted is, for all meta data related search,use CV04n and for all TREX related,document structure related search, stick to easyDMS.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Pradeepkuma! I'm glad to hear some else has experienced this before and that my line of thinking reflects your past experiences. Thanks for sharing...

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Quaxus ,

The difference in design of search in CVo4N and Search in SAP easyDMS is built for different user base, business process.

There must be some thought given before designing the SAP DMS and SAP DMS.

SAP Easy DMS is for user group who is like working on windows explorer with limited amount of work on the SAP DMS.

As in Windows explorer we only see application files and not much meta data. So Content search is required for MS Office files mostly.

SAP DMS is for user group who are working heavily on DIR in day to day business process such as product developement.

A lot of componies use SAP DMS for their product developemnt in NPDI with integration to Various sytems such as AutoCAD, Solidworks, Prov. So all search are based on Metadata based and business paramenteres such as objects links and Clasiification.

So we should understand the and propose solution or product which suits their needs and not based on assumption.

SO as far as my opinion goes there is no falw or gap in SAP EasyDMS and SAP DMS design.

WIth Warm Regards

Mangesh Pande

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mangesh for your comments. Much appreciated.

Richard.