cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Bucket capacity and Time continuous capacity

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can somebody explain the difference in functionality between "Bucket capacity" and "Time continuous capacity" as used in field "Finite capacity" in "PP/DS bucket capacity" tab in Resource?

How will above above two settings work when you have "Block planning" in "Bucket definition" tab in same tab?

Thanks,

Srini

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The difference between Bucket capacity and Time continuous capacity are:

Time continuous capacity is basically the capacity which is infinite continuous duration in time and you can define the shift intervals and breaks to adjust as per business process e.g. everyday 8 hrs or 16 hrs capacity with lunch time and breaks in between whereas bucket capacity is a discrete capacity and is specified bucket wise. Bucket capacity can be in PPDS as well as SNP. In PPDS it is used specifically for CDP planning or block planning. In SNP it can be used for bucket capacity references as Transport resources, storage resources , bucket planning etc

With respect to Block Planning:

You maintain the blocks using the entire validity of the available capacity of the resource. If you defined buckets from block planning for validity periods in which no blocks are defined, the buckets correspond to technical intervals in which the system schedules on a time-continuous basis.

You can check out the below link for the Block planning with Bucket capacity:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm41/helpdata/en/e5/90bb3b6070bf38e10000000a11402f/content.htm

Hope the information is useful

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for the information.

We are using CDP planning and block planning.

I have made the following settings in resouce:

Finite scheduling with finiteness level 0000 in General data tab.

Time continuous capacity defined in Time cont-capacity tab.

Bucket definition- From Block planning

Finite capacity- Bucket capacity

Clicked on check plans button to make sure that resource is used as primary and calendar resource.

Block planning is done in block planning tab of resource with "scheduling at block limit" indicator set.

With above settings, when I create planned orders and go to DS planning board, I notice planned orders appear one below the other in the resource. That means, capaicty check is not done in the resource and overloading is done.

Standard strategy profile SAP_BCTP is used for detailed scheduling.

Can you please let me know what could be the reason?

Thanks,

Srini