cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore database using differnt instance name

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Guru,

I wanted do restore my PRD database to Development system, How can I restore database with different SID.

Can I create control file online (means while PRD-source is running) Please send me steps to restore with different SID.

Regards,

Sahilkumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi Sahilkumar,

You can consider the method as per SAP note 1003028, section 2. Enhanced support for homogenous

database copies for more details.

This new function provides for the fully automated rebuilding (without

an operator) of a database based on a full offline or online backup, and

on a host other than the one that contained the original database. The

Oracle SID, Oracle Home and Sapdata Home can also be changed. Rebuilding

can take place on the same host, but in this case Oracle SID, Oracle

Home and Sapdata Home must be changed.

Thanks,

Ivy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sahil

After you have restored production database to your development system you can use any of below option to change DB name.

i) As mentioned in thread, create a trace file(alter system backup controlfile to trace) of production database and copy it to your development system. In target system you have to replace SID within trace file and then mount database using this file.

ii) You can use oracle NID(also called NEWDBID) utility to change database name. This approach has added benefit as it will change both DB_ID and DB_Name in target system, while if you follow trace file approach then only DB_Name will be change in target system. Have a look on below link to get more detail about NID.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B10500_01/server.920/a96652/ch14.htm

Let me know if you need any further information on this.

Thanks

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to add few important things while you are doing the steps mentioned above in the thread.

Make sure that you change the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora file so that it connects to the developement database only. Also when you perform system copy from PRD to DEV you should make sure that you export the version management from DEV before you perform th restore else you will completely loose versions of all the changes in DEV systems.

you can refere SAP note#130906 for more information for version management transport.

-Prabhat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sahil,

Yes, you can create a trace file using which you can create a file for your target system by changing the DB SID.

Command for this is alter system backup controlfile to trace;  You can execute this sql stmt while the system is running.

You can find the file in saptrace directory with .trc extension (look for the latest).

There are pre and post steps which need to be performed.

Hence, I would suggest you to go through the standard SAP guides and make a customized procedure for your environment.

Read the system copy guide which is specific to your environment.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/systemcopy

[Link Removed]

Please revert for any question.

Br,

Venky

Message was edited by: Jason Lax