cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns for Closed order post Data Migration?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

While migrating the data from Legacy to SAP, there is always a request for migrating historical data and closed orders..so far, we've managed to convince the client saying ..the returns process post migration will be created without reference to original invoice. However, in the current project..there are valid reasons for which the client requires historical data and closed orders( Invoiced, paid and inventory off the books)...

Please share ideas from your experience on how to migrate Closed orders i.e. orders which are invoiced, paid by customer--so no open line items in FI and the stock is off the inventory.

Regards,

Raghu.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
How about blocking the invoices from posting to FI?

This would be a good idea

G. Lakshmipathi

Shiva_Ram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In my opinion keeping open documents, in this case invoice not posted to accounting, in the system can provide issues to auditing/legal requirements. Hence I feel, it should be avoided.

Regards,

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One thing comes to my mind is those orders can be created, stock can be uploaded with 501 movement type so that it wont have any inventory value, do PGI and invoice. Of course, you would be aware all these activities can be done in bulk. Also, if the client is not willing to create stock, then you can do PGI with item category as TAX or TAW for which, the item category assignment can be made accordingly in VOV4.

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for your reply..however, if I carry out invoicing they'll start appearing as Open Items in FI..

All those have been paid and cleared long back.. so, how to handle that?

Shiva_Ram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

there are valid reasons for which the client requires historical data

Historical data can always be referred from any system. If these data are available in the legacy system, then the customer can keep the legacy system only for reporting/data referral purposes. If they want to shut down the legacy system, then the data can be moved to other forms like .pdf and can be shared in networks. We had some requirements similar to this for MSDS, and when EH&S is implemented in SAP system, all the old MSDS were stored in PDF format and kept on a share drive for users. I understand all the massive data can't be done like this, but however you may need to check with the customer on how many years old data needed and what are all the important data, they want (instead of all) for referral/reporting purposes.

If massive data needs to be maintained and legacy system should be shut down, then alternatively the data can be moved to some sub systems like SQL server database and some queries can be developed to fulfill user's requirements.

Regards,

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In normal circumstances, at the time of Go-Live, we ask the client to provide all open line items and we will upload those data which will later be cleared via FI.

But in the above case, from SD point of view, no sales data can be captured and for that only, I had suggested. Of course, from FI point of view, it is absolutely wrong due to the fact, in legacy balance sheet those sales data has already been recorded and you are not supposed to duplicate in SAP. Hence, regret for my above suggestion.

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Lakshmipathi... pls dont be regretful. Suggestions are always welcome.. !

@Shivaram.. by reference I mean when a returns order is created it should be w/ ref to an invoice in the system..and didn't really get your suggestion. Anyway, there is also the requirement from warranty team so any claims can be processed with reference to the original document.

Regards,

Raghu.

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How about blocking the invoices from posting to FI?

Shiva_Ram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

by reference I mean when a returns order is created it should be w/ ref to an invoice in the system

As mentioned by Lakshmipathi, in legacy system itself FI data is completed for the closed order/invoice, so you can't recreate. I am not sure how old documents the customer is looking for, and as I mentioned earlier, if the volume is less, then sales/billing documents output can be stored in PDF or any other convenient format for quick reference during returns order creation. When the return sales order is created, in the PO field or in any text field, the user can maintain the legacy system document number, so that duplicate returns processing can be avoided.

Again this is my suggestion based on my experience and there is more than one way to take care of the issues.

Regards,