cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe design guidelines

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends,

For new customers implementing webi on OLTP systems, is there any basic guidelines to refer. Some of the questions that arise are:

1. How many universes on an avergae would a companies have and maintain if implemented on OLTP system using around 50 tables

2. Is the logical grouping of tables for universe by business area like finance/logistics/inventory/etc

3. What is the suitable schema -Star or Snow flake for the universes

4. Is it good to have separate universes for transaction and master data

5.How are the joins between the tables determined--is it based on the reports drawn or keys of the tables..

Are there any implementation sucess stories with these details. Please share your experiences.

-Thanks

Tanya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

the learning maps for Universe development can be found here: www.service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_FRAME=CONTAINER&_OBJECT=011000358700001171182010E&;

you should also register for the upcoming Expert Guided Implementation session here:

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001411972011E.pdf

and here https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001214672011E.pdf

taken from this location (registration page): http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000736809&_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&;

Regards,

H

Edited by: Henry Banks on Feb 24, 2012 9:35 AM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Henry,

Thanks for providing the session details.I have registered for the same. However, I am unable to access the learning maps for Universe development at www.service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_FRAME=CONTAINER&_OBJECT=011000358700001171182010E&;

It errors with- I am not authorised to access it. Could you please help.

Thanks,

Tanya

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You need an S-user to access the Service Market Place

Ask the person who logs OSS to SAP, they'll have one.

Your project should issue you one.

regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tanya,

Following are my view's on your questions.

1)The number of universes depends upon the business scenario of the tables that you are using.

If all the 50 tables are representing one business case even you can create one universe. But the best practice for better performance

is limiting the number of objects in universe to 500(Even 1000 also managiable).

But it is not a limitation , just a recommondation.

2) Yes. Most of the scenario's universe will be developed based on the business case.

3)It depends upon your reporting requirement.

If you go for snowflake schema , as the tables are normalised the number joins in the universe will get increase which will effect the performance.

4)In general , the universe will have both master and transaction tables.

5)The joins will be determined based on the data that you want to see in the reports.

Hope this will helps you......

Thanks,

Pramod.