Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Java API and PI adapter configuration

former_member193350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

I am starting off new with MDM JAVA API, as this the prerequisite for MDM PI adapter. I have few doubts regarding the installation and configuration

1. Where should I deploy the Java API . jar files to be used with NWDS(client side), so what part of Java API should be deployed on Netweaver AS Java.

2. What should be deployed on MDM server?

3. It is mentioned that MDM connector needs to deployed in Netweaver application server. Where is the Netweaver AS Java for MDM ?

4. How is the Netweaver AS Java physically or logically connected to MDM ?

5. Can we use Netweaver AS java which is used for SAP PI ?

6. MDS and Java API should be of the same build version. Is it enough to have same version and service pack or do we need to have the same patch level for both ?

7. SAP help guides say that, Prior to MDM 7.1 SP07, MDM JAVA API (MDM_JAVA_API.sca) component is sufficient as prerequisite for MDM PI adapter. How is it possible without MDM connector ?

8. Once we deploy Java API and MDM PI adapter, how are we going to get the files in our inbound port ready folder ?

After reading all the documents, I am totally confused. If anyone have experience on this, Please help me out. I really appreciate any inputs on this from your experience.

Thanks in advance !!

Regards

Prateek Agarwal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. java api is packed as sca, you just deploy to your pi server

2 nothing

3 your pi server

4 using the java api to connect to mdm

5yes

6. same sp level

7 connector is packed in java api sca before sp7, if you deploy java api, you will have it, after sp7, it is packed in another sca, you just have to deploy it. when you download the sca, it is clearly stated.

8, you have to develop it . i think

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

Following are the answers of all your question in the same numeric order:

1. The following two files should be installed on your SAP NetWeaver Application Server Java

i) MDM JAVA API (MDM_JAVA_API.sca)

ii)MDMCONNECTOR (MDM_CONNECTOR.sca)

Note:MDM Java API .jar files configuration is required, when you are devloping any MDM solution/applicaion using MDM Java API.

2. Nothing.!! Only, the version of MDM server and all components, which you are deploying should be exact same.

3. The PI Adapter Engine is an AS Java-based runtime component deployed on an SAP NetWeaver Application Server Java (AS Java). The Adapter Engine hosts resource adapters for integrating applications and systems. It is automatically installed on the Process Integration Server as the central Adapter Engine. So the Answer is your PI server.

4. The MDM Connector provides connectivity between the MDS and Java EE applications. In particular, the connector can be used within SAP NetWeaver Portal to configure connections to MDM repositories in the portal system landscape.

Apart from the portal, any Java EE application can use the MDM Connector to establish a physical connection to an MDS, while allowing AS Java server-wide connection pooling, configuration, and monitoring.

The MDM Connector is based on the SAP Connector Framework.

5. Yes, you can but in this case, it is a non central Adapter Engine. For more information, see [Adapter Engine|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/8f/d906d01f77fa40a4c84683c3f8326f/frameset.htm]

6. It is better to have exactly same SP and Patch version.

7. Prior to MDM 7.1 SP07, MDM Connector was packed with Java API SCA file. But in MDM 7.1 SP7 it has divided into two SCA files.

8. MDM PI (XI) Adapter Content must be imported into the PI repository to enable configuration of integration scenarios using the MDM PI Adapter as a communication channel. The PI content for the MDM PI Adapter is generic and object free as it encapsulates the MDM PI Adapter metadata only.

In addition, SAP delivers MDM Business 7.1 PI content. This PI content is object-specific as it is designed for the MDM repositories delivered with MDM Business Content 7.1. This PI content is optional and is not required to run the MDM PI Adapter.

To configure this scenarion read the link: [Setting Up Inbound Messaging into MDM|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/48/9854884d3217cee10000000a421937/content.htm]

Thanks/ -Tarun

former_member193350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanku very much for your replies. My doubts are clear.

We are using PI as middleware now. I have a doubt regading this.

How to extract lookup tables from ECC using MDMGX or any other option and import into MDM using PI as middleware ? (I don't want to use the FTP or local file download)

Regards

Prateek Agarwal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please see the below thread

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You may Code your logic in ABAP, that will extract the Lookup tables and directly place the files in the ready folder.

ABAP is capable of using FTP programming to do the trick,

The tables for the lookup, you will get it from the .txt file that we get with the business content for MDM.

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>I am starting off new with MDM JAVA API, as this the prerequisite for MDM PI adapter

I believe you are mixing 2 things.

MDM Java API and MDM Adapter (in PI) and different things.

You can go to marketplace and download the MDM Adapter (its a .SAR or .SCA file, can't remember which one it is) and deploy it on PI server. once it is deployed, you will see the Adapter in Integration Directory of PI. Your PI consultant will configure the communication channel using MDM Adapter.

As far as i know, you don't need to do anything on MDM server for this to work. PI communication channel will set-up the connection with MDM server to pull/drop files automatically. MDM just need to provides the Rep name, Port, Login details etc so that PI channel can connect to correct MDM folder.

Thanks

Aamir

Edited by: Aamir Suhail on Feb 23, 2012 3:13 PM