cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Error Handling - use of FEH (PPO/ECH)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are investigating the usage of Forward Error Handling, known with SAP as PPO (Post Processing) and ECH (Error Capture Handler) to be able to re-process errors (automatically or manually) from incoming messages.

I am interested in talking with anyone who has implemented this. General questions are:

- how have you found it to work in real life?

- configuration/set-up straight-forward?

- what scenarios have used it in?

- incorporated into your custom services?

But am interested in any comments.

I am posting this within the PI forum as it ties into the fact we async scenarios inbound to SAP, typically from our PI system, and when those scenarios encounter an error we are looking for a way to have a business/end user - friendly interface for reprocessing the error. Implementing a proxy scenario, and thus having the errors show within sxmb_moni/sxi_monitor, is probably not going to work for us - too technical. I am also aware of an add-on, AIF I believe, but our company is not interested in installing that.

There are 4 blogs out there that I am aware of - 2 from Tobias and 2 from Michal. Very informative. I am finding some config not as ours though. Am really interested in anyone has really implemented and used this in a prod environment.

Regards,

Keith

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>- how have you found it to work in real life?

yes - there is also a document on how to monitor interfaces prepared by me for GSIG for PI

but it's not yet available as it will be once the whole interface monitoring document will be updated

>>>>- configuration/set-up straight-forward?

very easy - but you need to build the programming logic nicely so it's generic and you don't have to do the coding each time you implement it

>>>>- what scenarios have used it in?

custom based interfaces

there is no turning back from FEH - SAP will be using that for all standard services (it was supposed to be there for most of the service in EhP5 for ECC).

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think I am exactly at the same position as you in figuring out the usage of FEH in an environment. I just completed a small document (for internal purpose) that I prepared gathering all the information from those blogs, SCN and TechEd. Here are my 2 cents:

>>- how have you found it to work in real life?

We haven't implemented it yet. But we believe it will be quite useful in handling business specific errors. We are trying to find out if it can be merged with the existing BPEM infrastructure to generate BPEM cases.

>>- configuration/set-up straight-forward?

Yes, the blogs should be quite useful to provide this information.

>>- what scenarios have used it in?

Most importantly it will be used for standard service implementation where we consume enterprise services from ES workplace. These services have FEH capability built in (they have FEH method implemented within). The scenarios are of course inbound abap proxy.

>>- incorporated into your custom services?

We are still in design phase. But if you ask me about it, i would say yes you can and I think you should use it for custom ones as well.

Kind regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>I am posting this within the PI forum as it ties into the fact we async scenarios inbound to SAP, typically from our PI system, and when those scenarios encounter an error we are looking for a way to have a business/end user - friendly interface for reprocessing the error. Implementing a proxy scenario, and thus having the errors show within sxmb_moni/sxi_monitor, is probably not going to work for us - too technical. I am also aware of an add-on, AIF I believe, but our company is not interested in installing that.

Using BPM you can go for application acknowledgement & transport acknowledgement using send step. These acknowledgement helpful to some extent. If you have sync scenarios then you might want to use fault messages to trace the application errors.