cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publish ABAP utility implemented on PI system as Web service via PI itself.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We have a requirement where we might need to publish a feature related to user management from ABAP stack of PI as a web service via PI itself.

So scenario might look like

SOAP Client -> PI -> PI (ABAP functionality)

I have seen some blogs on SDN which suggest publishing FM directly using menu options in SE37 (Utilities (M) u2192 More Utilities u2192 Create Web Service u2192 From the Function Module). But then this interface will not be under PI and will be exception to general architecture of having all web services published via PI.

May be its a very simple scenario and I am thinking of solution in complex ways. Any quick inputs from experts on what would be the best way to implement this , will be a great help for me to start quickly.

Can we implement a normal SOAP to Proxy(ABAP) scenario for PI as we do while exposing services on ECC or any other ABAP system as a SOAP service?

Or is there any smart way of handling this scenario?

Kind Regards,

Abhijeet.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Option1:

Develop FM in ECC and expose as a web service and call it from PI or without PI.

Option2:

Develop FM and call it using RFC receiver adapter , and publish as a web service(other web service system can cal directly web service without PI).

Option3:

Develop ABAP proxy in receiver side and use it.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Thanks for quick response!

"Option1" is not possible as the functionality is related to user management and should be executed on PI system itself.

So FM should not be in ECC, but in PI.

"Option2" and "Option3" : I am aware of these options if we have to publish functionalities/features from any ABAP system other than PI.

My question was : Can we have similar scenario if "PI System" itself is a service provider(FM or PROXY to be generated on PI)? Should I define PI itself as a Receiver system(may be for Proxy scenario)?

Kind regards,

Abhijeet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

"is not possible as the functionality is related to user management and should be executed on PI system itself"

Can you elaborate on this so that people can understand the requirement better and give suggestion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sourabh,

By this I want to say that,

The required functionality is for managing users on PI system , so the logic/ FM should be executed on PI system itself and not on ECC system.

I hope this makes it clear.

Kind Regards,

Abhijeet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Abhijeet

You can do following

Create a Receiver RFC Adapter and give PI server details in it. You might need an RFC destination as well

In ESR you can import the RFC and do the mapping logic

Sourabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sourabh,

Thanks for reply.

That means: SOAP to RFC scenario will work when PI itself is a receiver.

What about Proxy?

Will it work with PI system as a Receiver system?

Kind Regards,

Abhijeet.

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Better to go with RFC only because Proxy case you have to create many configurations and unnecessary. Create FM on PI server cal is using RFC adapter.

former_member184681
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhijeet,

You might find the following BAPIs in PI useful: BAPI_USER_CREATE1, BAPI_USER_CHANGE, BAPI_USER_CLONE. So you do not need to create the function modules from scratch. And I would suggest using them directly in SOAP to RFC scenario, as you already have the monitoring ensured by PI, so there is no need to go for SOAP to Proxy with lots of additional configuration, as stated by Raja Sekhar.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Raja & Greg for quick suggestions & your valuable time.

Appropriate points rewarded.

Greg, thanks for suggesting names of standard BAPI, it will save us from reinventing the wheel by using custom codes.

I will work out on SOAP to RFC scenario & close the thread when scenario works.

Just to Share: Yesterday, just out of curiosity I tried to use proxy scenario where PI system itself was Receiver in our sandbox, the message goes in a kind of infinite loop and keeps processing the message again and again till it turns out to error.

I tried it using the existing Business system for PI where it is configured as Integration Server & I have also tried to create a new business system for a different client on PI system with role as "Application System", but still the result was same.

Kind Regards,

Abhijeet.